small engine repair

Someone gave me an IDC (now Ryobi) 32cc cultivator and I'm trying to get it started. It's getting a spark as I can get it to run for a few seconds. I've put in fresh gas, I took out the carb and shot cleaner through the jets. Anyone know a site or a newsgroup that may help me?

Thanks

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

Inquire at the Small Engine Technical Forum

prepared to provide complete model-serial numbers for the engine (and carburetor if possible). Many knowledgeable folks there. Write back if they were able to help you.

Also try

GrtArtiste

Reply to
GrtArtiste

A good sign and in itself, eliminates lots of other possible problems.

It sounds like carburetion to me. You were on the right track there, but I think you missed a couple things. Did you inspect the float, needle, bowl, and seat? Or the same areas if a diaphragm type? Disassemble the carb and clean/inspect. Use a safety wire to ensure all the passages are clear. Adjust the float (or diaphragm) and reassemble. I think this is causing your problems.

Reply to
spamno

Yes, my plan exactly for today. I'm not all that great on disassembly/assembly but I'll take digital pics along the way so I can remember which peice went where.

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

I take lots of pics too as I suffer from CRS.

(Can't Remember Shit)

Reply to
spamno

OK so I worked on the carb and got this thing running. I was trying to adjust the needle valves and now it won't run. I think it's flooding. There are two needle valves. what is the best way to work on these adjustments?

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

I usually run the needle all the way in (with my fingers ONLY) and bring it out 1.5 to 2 turns. If it's still flooding, turn it in a little. If it's starving, bring it out a little.

Reply to
spamno

I thought I had this finished but there are still issues. What I did so far is I took of the carb, took it apart, soaked it in parts cleaner, and blew out all the channels. I put it back together, installed it, and got it running. I have experimented with the needle adjustments, and it seemed to run OK by backing out each one 1 and a half turns. By the way, why are there two needle valves and which does what? One is a little longer than the other. The shorter one had markings on the housing where it fits in that say L and H, so I take it that means Low and High. There are also two gas hoses into this and I wondered why two? Today, I went out to put the plastic cover back over the carb area and there was gas in there. The throat of the carb wasn't flooded, so there must be gas leaking out around a connection, but where? Also, there was a few drops of oil dripping from the low spot on the muffler. It also wouldn't start without very much effort. I know the oil/gas mixture is right. I also put in a new spark plug even though the old one looked fine. I was wondering if the two rubber gaskets that have some apparent function need replaced. They would be old too. But where to find them when the machine is 20 years old and the company was bought out by Ryobi since then?

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

One will be your 'low speed' jet (or idle) & the other is 'high speed'

Some systems pressurize the tank so It could be air to the tank.

Sometimes a 'third party' will produce parts- it's just a matter of researching to locate them. Search the web, call up mechanics, talk to folks.

Reply to
Benbo

Ryobi did not buy out IDC. IDC or Inertia Dynamics makes the engine only and they sell them to many trimmer mfgs like Ryobi.

Any half decent small engine shop will be able to supply you parts. The carb is most likely made by Walbro.

Reply to
Artemis

Reply to
Mark Corbelli