Skunks

Something getting into my garbage cans so I baited my Hav-a-hart with peanut butter and caught a skunk on patio under deck about 9 last night. Momma skunk in trap was surrounded by her 4 children who would not leave and were running and jumping around trap. I had turned on lights and called wife to look out the sliding door to our patio but children would not leave. Fortunately I was able to unlatch trap from deck using my pole trimmer. Even while doing this, little skunks would not leave. Momma got out and the family fooled around near the deck for maybe a half hour. I've encountered skunks at night previously and they are fearless. Been close enough to be sprayed but that also has never happened.
Skunks are probably benificial as they eat insects and mice but besides their dreaded odor, we have endemic rabies here and, a few years ago, a deodorized caged skunk at nature center near here had it.
Lady in group concerned about the holes in her lawn might consider skunks as source.
No odor anywhere this morning. Guess I was lucky. Wife wants me to retire the Hav-a-hart. Interesting experience I thought I'd share with group. Had a previous experience with a homemade trap years ago and learned that skunks do not spray when confined. Did not know what little ones would do but I read that skunks can spray accurately from 12 ft away.
Frank
on 7/30/2007 7:31 AM Frank said the following:

Glad to hear that you released the skunk. Too many people are of the opinion that one should kill any hungry animal that invades their property.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Raccoons, groundhogs, possums and squirrels, I transport to parkland but no way would I put a skunk in my trunk ;) Frank

Be careful about admitting you transport them. I think it's illegal unless you have a certain wildlife permit.
Your's was a cute story. I've had a few skunks in Hav-a-harts. I keep a couple 2 - 3' rods with bent ends handy. From one closed end I reach over and open the other end. Haven't ben sprayed "yet". <knock on wood>
Srgnt Billko wrote:

You are right about that as I have heard in previous ng discussions that local laws can vary considerably. First time I caught a skunk, I did not know what to do and called DE Fish and Game and they said they had nothing to do with non-game animals. Then once I released a squirrel in park near county police substation and cop was there. Told him I was transporting a prisoner and he laughed when I opened trunk and released squirrel. Frank