sharpening lawn mower blades

I apologize if this has been brought up before, but its new to me. My neighbor just discovered that you can do a great job of sharpening lawn mower blades with those cheap hand held knife sharpeners...the ones that wrap around your hand and you draw your knife through it. They cost around 5:00 bucks, but they do a great job on the blades

Bob-tx

My thought exactly. But then I saw a guy checking out of the garden center at a KMart last week - with a new blade - he had the old one with him to match up. The old one had never been sharpened and wasn't really all that dull. Plus he paid a lot ($15) for the new blade. I had just bought 3 JD blades for a mower deck for $20 with a coupon off their website.
Bob wrote:

put new blades on everything though and should be set for life now.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
Bob F wrote: [....]

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t/h/theplanter/blades.html
with the typical price for blade sharpening holding around 5 dollars a blade and with my deck array of 3 blades I knew I was going to develop a means of doing the task myself.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t/h/theplanter/Farmer-workshop.html
with this setup I can sharpen the set in under 15 minutes, including removal and reinstallation. the cost savings has been nothing more than stellar.
invest in tools, they have this neat way of providing a financial return.