severe pruning of a big old forsythia

I have a grand old forsythia in my front yard as part of a large shrub garden. It's 25 years old, and is now about a 12 foot radius hemisphere. The problem is, it's getting so overgrown and "worn out" that there is little new growth or bloom on it. I did some small pruning two years ago which helped a little, but I think it's time for something more drastic. And since pruning time is coming up, I'm here for advice.
I know forsythias can take a licking and keep on ticking, so I'm wondering how far I can cut out old growth on this one. It is a very healthy plant with a good solid root system. I "think" I saw a gardening show once that said you can basically cut the whole thing off at a couple of inches above ground and, if the roots are healthy, it will completely regrow as all new vibrant growth. Has anyone ever tried that?
Andrew Duane wrote:

I take off 1/3 of the oldest stumps every Spring after blooming.

If you really want to be drastic with this Forsythia - and it sounds like you need to be - then cut the whole thing back to within say 18in of the ground. In around 4-5 weeks it will start to shoot again, and then you can better control it in subsequent years. (It will probably get back up to around 3 feet during this first year after cutting back.) There is a pruning guide on here if you need it. www.gardenseeker.com Regards Data

I was being lazy - here is the full url http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_shrubs.htm It is at the bottom of the page. D