self propelled rotary mower quits

Got a 6.5hp Craftsman self propelled roatary mower. Starts easy. Thing runs great---when it runs. What happens is it goes along fine, mowing away, and suddenly, with no warning, quits. Let it sit a few minutes and it'll start right up again. It will do this repeatedly.
I'm thinking gas tank vent cap. However, I pulled it and took a look. The outside appears to have no vent hole anywhere on it. But, there is some kind of flapper valve thingee inside the gas cap.
Ideas, thoughts, suggestions ???
Got a 6.5hp Craftsman self propelled rotary mower. Starts easy. Thing runs great---when it runs. What happens is it goes along fine, mowing away, and suddenly, with no warning, quits. Let it sit a few minutes and it'll start right up again. It will do this repeatedly.
I'm thinking gas tank vent cap. However, I pulled it and took a look. The outside appears to have no vent hole anywhere on it. But, there is some kind of flapper valve thingee inside the gas cap.
Ideas, thoughts, suggestions ???
RB wrote:

Loosen the gas cap and see if it still cuts off. That should tell you if you're on the right or wrong track. It does sound like a fuel starvation problem.
--
Art

Exactly what my neighbor's lawn mower was doing. BTW, it is also a craftsman. He took it apart and found the magneto coil assy - supposed to be gapped very close to the spinning flywheel, but not touching - making contact with the flywheel. The mower would run while cold, and as soon as it warmed up it would quit. He'd let it set for 15-20 min and it would start right again up for a repeat performance. Apparently as the metal warmed and expanded this part would touch spinning flywheel and ground out. Used a piece of milk carton to set the gap, and it has been running ok since...Sounds like you too may have a thermal related issue going on with your mower. I would also try loosening the gas cap while running as suggested to eliminate a vacuum lock at the gas tank....