Seeking tips about a backyard swing

Page 2 of 2
Ah, a simple single seat swing. Gotcha! All this while, I was assuming a multi-seat porch type swing. Yep, almost any good plank should do well for your seat. I would still suggest the most weather resistant lumber, though, as it would likely be just as easy to obtain as a non-weather resistant lumber. Those simple seats are easy to change, if they go bad, also.
Neither of those trees aren't dispositioned enough that a swing's good/ proper motion would be affected. I would invest in eye bolts, as initially recommended, hang and use the swing. If there are any issues that arise, your installation/positioning is not so complicated that any readjustment/reposition can't be done relatively easily.
In thinking porch swing (multi-person load bearing), I initially though fairly heavy guage linked chain. Use your common sense for chain size.... 1/8" guage.
Sonny
On 6/20/2011 3:03 PM, chaniarts wrote:

Those ain't 59"-61" in diameter. Circumference, maybe.
The floating beam idea in my last post will work fine with those. As close together as the trees are, I'd put the chains for the seat a little further apart at top, than at seat level, to reduce chances of somebody getting their arc cockeyed and hitting the trunk.
--
aem sends...

Yes I realized that I had misspoke, I should have said circumference. I put my tape measure around the trees and the one on the left is 69" and the one on the right is 59".

Yes I was thinking the same thing, if the chains are a little wider apart at the top that would guide the swing through the trees better.
Thanks to everyone, especially you and Sonny, for their input. I have a pretty good idea how to proceed now.

I'm sort of hesitant to make a direct connection between the trees at the top with something like a 2 x 6 because these are really tall trees and I've noticed they can sway slightly in a very strong wind. I think just dropping a chain to the seat using eye bolts would work better.
On 6/20/2011 1:35 PM, Dennis M wrote:

You don't need a hard connection on both ends, or even one of them, really. Lag some blocks to the tree, and rest a floating box frame beam that encircles the trunk on the blocks. Unless trees really sway, it doesn't even have to go all the way around- a frame like a section of ladder would work. As a kid, we did floating supports for multi-limb treehouses like that. Tree could still flex with no problem, and the treehouse never got overstressed. For ease of construction, a couple long 2x6s or 2x8s in parallel, with cross-pieces to make them nice and stiff, maybe slanted in alternating directions so they make box sections but still drain well. Viewed from side, minus top and bottom edges, since I suck at ASCII art: I / \ / \ / \ / \ I . Put the beam together with deck screws, and hang swing from threaded rod run through both sides of beam, or from short 2x6s run flat across the top. As long as trees never sway so much that they spread enough to make the beam fall off the blocks, it should hold up longer than you do.
Legal disclaimer- use at your own risk. If you kill somebody with this design, remember what you paid for it. I am not an engineer or architect, blah blah blah.
--
aem sends...

On Jun 19, 5:15pm, snipped-for-privacy@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) wrote:

This is very interesting. I am new at groups. Can you tell me a little bit about this group?
Stormin Mormon said:

They're still called newsgroups, so the term was appropriate. More appropriate than quoting in your sig, as you did.
--

Eggs

Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused his dentist's Novocain during root