Seeding new lawn, howto spread seeds ?

I am looking to seed a few hundred sq feet of lawn. What's the best method of spreading the seed out by hand ?

Reply to
lennyk

A hand spreader...? Check the local hardware store. It should be 15 dollars or less.

-

Timothy

Only a few hundred ie ~30' x 10'? I'd just do it by hand.

Reply to
Merle O'Broham

In mid July? You live in Alaska? :)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Or, sod it.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I live in the Caribbean,

do I just grab a handful and throw it at the ground ?

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Reply to
lennyk

And rake it in!

Reply to
Mike Robinson

Does that mean that sodding is not an option?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Windage and elevation. ($1 Duke)

Reply to
Steveo

Reply to
Steveo

Reply to
lennyk

No, you have to prepare the soil to receive the seed. Otherwise, most will just wash away. If the soil isn't tough, scratch it with a bow rake first. Then tamp the soil lightly after seeding. Then lightly water is without disturbing the soil surface late in the evening hours.

If using strictly your hand, go get a bucketful of sand to practice with first. Idea is to uniformly spread the sand or seed.

Reply to
Jonny

To grow grass from seed, you typically need to do more than just water in once a day. Especially if you're trying to do it in summer, which is the absolute worst time. You need to keep the surface constantly damp, which in full sun can mean watering 4 times a day. Applying a light cover, like hydraulic mulch which would be good for this app, is a big help.

Reply to
trader4