Seeding new lawn, howto spread seeds ?

I am looking to seed a few hundred sq feet of lawn. What's the best method of spreading the seed out by hand ?
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:11:55 -0700, lennyk wrote:

A hand spreader...? Check the local hardware store. It should be 15 dollars or less.
- http://www.resources.ywgc.com

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Only a few hundred ie ~30' x 10'? I'd just do it by hand.
Merle O'Broham said:

Or, sod it.
--
Eggs

-A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said:

In mid July? You live in Alaska? :)
--
Eggs

- You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery
I live in the Caribbean,
do I just grab a handful and throw it at the ground ?
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

said:

watery
[top posting & quoting fixed]
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said:

Does that mean that sodding is not an option?
--
Eggs

-I went to a seafood disco rave last week.... and pulled a mussel.
no, zoysia sod not available here
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Just like feeding the chickens.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

--
http://NewsReader.Com /

No, you have to prepare the soil to receive the seed. Otherwise, most will just wash away. If the soil isn't tough, scratch it with a bow rake first. Then tamp the soil lightly after seeding. Then lightly water is without disturbing the soil surface late in the evening hours.
If using strictly your hand, go get a bucketful of sand to practice with first. Idea is to uniformly spread the sand or seed.
--
Jonny
Jonny wrote:

To grow grass from seed, you typically need to do more than just water in once a day. Especially if you're trying to do it in summer, which is the absolute worst time. You need to keep the surface constantly damp, which in full sun can mean watering 4 times a day. Applying a light cover, like hydraulic mulch which would be good for this app, is a big help.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Windage and elevation. ($1 Duke)
--
http://NewsReader.Com /