Sears mower deck problem

I am having a problem with a Sears 42 inch EZ3 mower deck.

This mower is about 7 years old and the motor runs fine. Lets see, how can I describe this? One blade cut lower at the point where the blades pass each other in the middle.

The level of the deck itself is spot on with the deck down in the mow position. With the mower jacked up the blades appear to be level in the middle where the blades meet. The left blade cuts maybe a half to three quarters of an inch deeper than the right blade, again, where the blades meet in the middle.

This deck has cut this way for about three years and is not the first Sears I have had this problem with. Last year I replaced the blade shafts and housings but the problem has returned by the end of mowing season. I put on a new set of blades each spring. I have placed the blades atop one another and neither blade is bent.

The shafts and housings are 90 bucks for the two and a new complete deck is about $450.00.

Any ideas on how to cure this problem, short of replacing the mower with a Deere ? Your assistance is appreciated.

Des, the Bewildered.

Reply to
Desmond Cockburn

I dont know how much to mow or what your looking for but here is some ideas. Also some more info... is needed. What size yard? what type of ex. hill wet... ect ect.

Dont buy stamp decked mowers. Buy fabricated decks. Its going to cost you some money. If this isnt a option you might want to hire a LCO. Or you could spend 800 to 1500 for a pull behind mower like swisher. Also depends on what size lot you have.

n3whs

How about trying to change the timing of the two blades - eg when one hits the middle vs the other. Might be useless but doesn't cost anything and only takes a minute.

Reply to
Srgnt Bilko

For the life of me I can't think of how to do that. Figure I'll end up with a forehead smack when you tell me. hehe

Des, the Elder.

Reply to
Desmond Cockburn

Just grab one blade, after disconnecting the spark plug(s) and ensuring the blades are disengaged, and turn it perpendicular to the other blade while holding the other blade in place. The belt should slip enough to allow this. Good luck. Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

Reply to
GFRfan

are the blades level? My 50" deck is "bent" from heavy mowing so the middle blade leans a bit due to the belt pull.

Reply to
Tim

Had the same problem with my Sears 42-inch mower (brand new model!!!). However, it wasn't in the blades, their pitch angle, or related to them whatsovever. Prior to the grass being cut by the blades, it is run over by a center roller bar located ahead of the blades (center of the blade overlap). I discovered that the pin/axle holding this item in place wasn't adjusted properly (too low). It was mashing the grass down so by the time it sprang back up, the blades had already passed over that area. When I reset the roller blade (like you do with the scalping wheels), I eliminated the uncut row of grass problem. Check it out; cheaper than new blades, etc..

Reply to
evolutionman 2004