Scotts Turf Builder with PLUS 2 Wedd Control

Hey Everyone,

I have a few quick questions, going to apply fertilizer this week its been 6 weeks since I applied the Scotts Crab Grass fertilizer. (btw, i have moslty kentucky blue grass and maybe some rye/fescue)

Question #1) Is 6 weeks to long between a application, should i do ever 4 weeks?

Question #2) Scotts.com says to apply PLUS 2 from May1-Jul1, so if my next application is May 7th do I need to do another application of PLUS 2 in 6 weeks June 18th?

Question #3) I have never done the summerguard is this new and what are the benifets of using this instead of turf builder?

Thanks in advance.

Shane

Reply to
Shane

6 weeks is perfect.

Not unless you still have lots of weeds. You can buy a pump up sprayer and some weed-b-gone and just spot treat your undesirables if there's not too many. 1.5 ounces per gallon of water. Just spray to wet the weeds, run-off is excessive spray and wasteful.

If you still have too many weeds to tackle with a pump-up, you could use the weed n feed as a blanket application.

Neither one of those products has any weed prevention value, they only kill the existing weeds. Sounds like a judgment call, Shane.

Is summergaurd a retail grub prevention, or a surface insect control.

Reply to
Steveo

"Is summergaurd a retail grub prevention, or a surface insect control."

It's surface insect control, not grub prevention. Happy to help you out again Steveo!

Reply to
trader4

I don't buy retail product, wankstain. I used to be in the garden center business but that was 15 years ago. I buy control products by the ton or

55 gallon drum....none of them say summergaurd.

We do around 7000 chemical lawncare stops a growing season to put it into perspective for you, trader for. I've been doing this for 28 years.

hth

Reply to
Buzzard

"I don't buy retail product, wankstain. I used to be in the garden center business but that was 15 years ago."

Yes, and with your friendly attitude toward people, I can see why you're no longer in the garden center business.

PS: It's Summerguard, not Summergaurd

Reply to
trader4

It's s**te. I'm out of the garden center business because we also had greenhouses and the scrubbers on the coal stacks cost too much so we sold it. The land is no longer used for that anymore.

Save your drivel for someone else, please.

Reply to
Buzzard

Thanks Steveo, I forgot to ask if I should fertilize my new sod that I layed down 3 weeks ago with PLUS 2 or should i use something not as strong?

Shane

Reply to
Shane

"Thanks Steveo, I forgot to ask if I should fertilize my new sod that I layed down 3 weeks ago with PLUS 2 or should i use something not as strong?"

If it's new sod, why would you want to use fertilizer with weed killer? There shouldn't be any weeds there to kill.

Reply to
trader4

True, but does it hurt if I do apply it?

Reply to
Shane

"True, but does it hurt if I do apply it? "

Grass is stressed by weed killer. That's one of the reasons why they tell you to be careful to not over apply it, don't use it in very hot weather, use less on certain species of grass, etc. I certainly wouldn't use it on new sod that's just been planted and has no weeds. Plus using unnecessary chemicals doesn't help the environment, as they can wind up in ponds, drinking water, animals, or your kid's bare feet. . For a lawn with only a modest amount of weeds, a small tank sprayer is much more effective. It delivers the herbicide where you need it.

If it's new sod, did you use starter fertilizer when it was put down? If so, and it's only been 3 weeks you don't need more fertilizer. If you didn't put it down then, I would apply a starter fertilizer now. It has more phosphorus (2nd number in the X-X-X percentage), which promotes root growth.

Reply to
trader4

Kinda, I used Scotts start ferilizer soil. I kinda sound like Scotts spoke person with all the scotts products I use. Anyways, thanks for all your help! :)

Shane

Reply to
Shane

Do you have many weeds in your new sod?

Reply to
Buzzard

Yes. It is a waste, and an unnecessary pesticide application. It isn't the best thing for the tender roots in your new sod either.

Reply to
Buzzard