Scarification during the winter

The soil in my area is VERY clayey and hence the growth of moss in ou

lawns is a major problem, even in summer. I can normally control thi growth by using a RawnRaker and I'm tempted to use it a few times ove the winter (if weather permits !) to stop the grass being overcome. Can anyone advise me on whether, on balance, this will work to save th lawn over the winter, or whether I just make more space for the moss t grow again

-- DougButtimer

Reply to
DougButtimer

Hi it would be best to leave the Scarifying till the spring as when yo rip out the dead material you want grass to be encouraged into the area that are thin it is best to lightly fertilise after treatment then appl a little seed approx 35grams per meter over the areas and then top dres with a 70/30 sand soil mix. If you want to improve your lawn core out the some of the clay an brush in a 70/30 sand soil mix this has to be done in dry condition and do not smother the grass this will if done regularly cause a improvment in your surface area. Charles White

-- Charles White

Reply to
Charles White

Thanks for your advice ! I guess I'll save myself the bother o scarification at the moment then. Unfortunately, I've rather a LOT o lawn so taking cores would be an impossible job

-- DougButtimer

Reply to
DougButtimer

You don't do it by hand.