Ryobi Bmm 2400 24V Mower

I just purchased an old BMM 2400, replaced the battery and it works great...

The other shoe.... there was no manual with it, and I don't know the proper Battery Charging Scheme for the SLA 24 battery.

My lawn is quite small, so I can mow it several times without recharging, but I just want to know the best scheme to get the longest life I can out of the battery.

I have tried the RYOBI site, and it is of no help..

Thanks to anyone provide some guidance..

Ben

Reply to
Ben

For lack of better information, I suggest you leave it on the charger anywhere from overnight to 24 hours. This is assuming you are using a 'dumb' charger, in other words one that doesn't monitor battery charge, have a timer, or any fancy features. This is quite likely with Ryobi products.

If you have a 'smart' charger, you can leave it plugged in. If your not sure, you are safe assuming it's a 'dumb' charger and following my previous recommendations.

Do not discharge the battery completely, ever. When things start slowing down, finish mowing if you can, then haul the thing back to the charger. There's no need to charge after every use. Best would be trial and error, keeping track of how many uses you can get out of one charge, then charge the battery one or two uses short of the limit. There's no need to worry about so-called "memory effect" and whatnot with an SLA, but you want to avoid overcharging the battery, as well as avoid using electricity when you don't need to.

If you go on vacation, charge the battery before leaving, then disconnect the charger.

Chances are this battery will last several years.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:18:03 -0700, "Pagan" wrotc:

Thanks.

Sounds like the safest way to go without the actual mfg instructions.

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ben - I bought the same mower in 1995, used it til 1998, then sold my house and moved abroad, and it has been in storage since. Just bought a new house so I have to mow again! Battery won't charge - how did you locate a battery for this mower? Thanks - Jay

Reply to
jay4paz

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:31:08 -0400, "jay4paz" wrotc:

Interstate Batteries...

had a SLA 2740, (24V 20 AH SLA)

You might check local Battery Supply Stores and they should also have something that would work. They are made up of 2to 12V SLA batteries connected in series.

If you use Interstate battery be sure to provide them the model no etc. of the machine you have and any battery information that you may find on the original battery. I just carried my battery into the local store and they matched it.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Ben

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:31:08 -0400, "jay4paz" wrotc: how did you locate a

Oops forgot, they replaced it with:

2ea ASLA1116, 12 V 18 AH SLA Flame Ret Batteries.

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Try recharging your old battery for 1 to 2 weeks. I'll bet you can recover it to some extent. daveA

Reply to
David Raleigh Arnold