Ryobi 4-cycle - idles but wont run under full throttle

Hello,

I have a Ryobi 4 cycle weed trimmer. The engine starts and runs fine at idle, but when I give it gas (medium-full throttle), it revs for a few seconds and stalls, unless I let off the gas, then it idles fine again.

I have:

  • cleaned the air filter
  • checked the valve clearance
  • replaced/gapped the spark plug

Is there anything else I can check that could cause these conditions?

Of the repair shops I have called, no one seems to want to work on Ryobi's. It is not under warranty any longer. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
ERIC

Sounds like a mixture problem, maybe a plugged up jet. Have you tried spraying some cleaner into the carb?

Reply to
Patch

the screen in the carb is clogged. very common on these. pull it apart and look. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

The "spark arrester" screen is different from what you are talking about, correct? I cleaned that one, which was partially clogged. I will check the one inside the carb if it is different from what I checked already. Thanks!

Reply to
ERIC

I have not checked the carb yet, but I will tomorrow. :) Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
ERIC