Ryobi 4-cycle - idles but wont run under full throttle

Hello,
I have a Ryobi 4 cycle weed trimmer. The engine starts and runs fine at idle, but when I give it gas (medium-full throttle), it revs for a few seconds and stalls, unless I let off the gas, then it idles fine again.
I have: * cleaned the air filter * checked the valve clearance * replaced/gapped the spark plug
Is there anything else I can check that could cause these conditions?
Of the repair shops I have called, no one seems to want to work on Ryobi's. It is not under warranty any longer. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Eric

Sounds like a mixture problem, maybe a plugged up jet. Have you tried spraying some cleaner into the carb?

I have not checked the carb yet, but I will tomorrow. :) Thanks for your reply.
snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM (ERIC) wrote in message

the screen in the carb is clogged. very common on these. pull it apart and look. Chip
snipped-for-privacy@chipanddebby.com (Chip Stein) wrote in message

The "spark arrester" screen is different from what you are talking about, correct? I cleaned that one, which was partially clogged. I will check the one inside the carb if it is different from what I checked already. Thanks!