running pipe under driveway

Foes anyone have any experience trying to hammer a piece of capped galvanized pipe under a concrete driveway? I'm wondering how far this will work. I'd like to extend my sprinkler system to the area on the other side of my driveway. Probably a 3/4 inch pipe will do. Thanks Eric
Try connecting a water hose to one end, and open the other. Let the water do the work. Be sure to arrange for the spilled water to come back out the hole with the dredgings, else you undermine in areas you don't want.

Remember that you might get a sprinkler installation man to do this one task for you. Also, cable installers do this all the time. These two industries have a special machine that would do this job in 15-20 minutes. If you find a small (as in one man) company, they might to it for a very small fee, especially if they frequently come to your neighborhood for other work.
Try to see who does sprinkers/ or cable installations in your neighborhood. Many cable companies use independent contractors to install cable tv wires, and I get the impression most of them are one man ventures.
Hope this helps.
The water pressure idea is also good, and is good advice if you wish to try it yourself. It is a common method.
--James--
James Nipper wrote:

I'd prefer to do it myself, the driveway is 12 feet wide. Is there a tool i can rent that does this kind of thing? Eric
Yes, there is a tool, but I don't know the name of it. It is some sort of twisting router, the squiggles through the ground .
Call a local rental store and tell them what you need.
Good Luck
--James--
James Nipper wrote:

Anyone heard of this? or used one? Eric
Eric wrote:

No. A vibratory plow will go *through* your driveway, not *under* it.
michelle wrote:

with a strong nozzle on it to eat a hole under the driveway.

The hardware store should have a "blaster nozzle" you glue to PVC pipe and connect a hose to the other end of the pipe with the included hose fitting. It's made for this job. Get a length of 20' PVC to do the whole job without couplers which can cause problems.
Bob

Eric wrote:

How wide is the driveway?
Austin
AustinMN wrote:

Its 12 feet wide.

My experience has been driving 1 1/4" pipe vertically but the problem was always the joints - which you might not need. But if you do, they make special drive couplings for the bigger pipe - if they make them for small pipe I would recommend using them. And keep turning the pipe in a tightening direction.