running pipe under driveway

Foes anyone have any experience trying to hammer a piece of capped galvanized pipe under a concrete driveway? I'm wondering how far this will work. I'd like to extend my sprinkler system to the area on the other side of my driveway. Probably a 3/4 inch pipe will do. Thanks Eric

Reply to
Eric

Try connecting a water hose to one end, and open the other. Let the water do the work. Be sure to arrange for the spilled water to come back out the hole with the dredgings, else you undermine in areas you don't want.

Reply to
Dandelion Acres

Remember that you might get a sprinkler installation man to do this one task for you. Also, cable installers do this all the time. These two industries have a special machine that would do this job in 15-20 minutes. If you find a small (as in one man) company, they might to it for a very small fee, especially if they frequently come to your neighborhood for other work.

Try to see who does sprinkers/ or cable installations in your neighborhood. Many cable companies use independent contractors to install cable tv wires, and I get the impression most of them are one man ventures.

Hope this helps.

The water pressure idea is also good, and is good advice if you wish to try it yourself. It is a common method.

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

How wide is the driveway?

Austin

Reply to
AustinMN

Its 12 feet wide.

Reply to
Eric

I'd prefer to do it myself, the driveway is 12 feet wide. Is there a tool i can rent that does this kind of thing? Eric

Reply to
Eric

Yes, there is a tool, but I don't know the name of it. It is some sort of twisting router, the squiggles through the ground .

Call a local rental store and tell them what you need.

Good Luck

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

My experience has been driving 1 1/4" pipe vertically but the problem was always the joints - which you might not need. But if you do, they make special drive couplings for the bigger pipe - if they make them for small pipe I would recommend using them. And keep turning the pipe in a tightening direction.

Reply to
Srgnt Bilko

After googling around i think the device i need is a "vibratory plow". Anyone heard of this? or used one? Eric

Reply to
Eric

there a tool i

The hardware store should have a "blaster nozzle" you glue to PVC pipe and connect a hose to the other end of the pipe with the included hose fitting. It's made for this job. Get a length of

20' PVC to do the whole job without couplers which can cause problems.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Vibro-hoe it with the spud bar. Whooptie shit.

Reply to
Steveo

No. A vibratory plow will go *through* your driveway, not *under* it.

Reply to
michelle

I haven't tried it, but I was advised to use an ordinary garden hose with a strong nozzle on it to eat a hole under the driveway.

Reply to
William W. Plummer