Robomower question

Hi, I bought a Robomower about 5 months ago (RL-880) and it has been running fine until now.
The small device that comes with it that you plug into the zone to activate the circuit is giving me problems.
I have 4 zones at my house and 3 zones are fine. You plug it in and the green light happily blinks on the zone-enabler box (the one with 3 C batteries inside).
But the other zone, also the largest, has suddenly decided to stop blinking green and start flashing the batteries red-light, making it impossible to mow the backyard. Same unit, same batteries, etc. that worked on the front yard minutes before. I take it back to the front yard and it works on all 3 zones.
Anyone know why the battery light on the zone-enabler can light up preventing a zone from being mowable but work on all the other zones?
I don't think there's any li cut and I tried two sets of all fresh C batteries with the same result.
Thanks,
Stuart
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Stuart, Can only be one of two things left to check. More than likely you have a break in the zone loop. A simple check with a volt/ohm meter will verify that. The other possibility is that your zone is too large for the transmitter. Maximum wire length is 1,000 feet. I would check for an open circuit in the loop first by what ever means you have. If you just have your wire staked down, just check it by running your hand along it and pulling slightly on the insulation to see if the wire has broken inside, especially where it has been staked down.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I have two Robomowers and have encountered the same problem from time to time. It's ALWAYS an open circuit. Put a continuity tester on the loop you are having trouble with and you'll see that it's not a complete circuit. I've had to redo my mowing areas (I mow about 1.5 acres total) several times. One thing I suggest is get rid of the solid core wire the manufacturer supplies. It's subject to breaking to easily. I replaced mine with stranded wire. Comes in a 2500 ft roll for about $85. Also the "couplers they supply don't hold up well.. A better method to splice is to use the standard auto splicers. The type that has a "blade" that slides down and cuts through the insulation then a cap folds over the blade. Usually they are "Blue" but come in different colors for different size wire. The tech support folks are good at "Friendlymachines.com" and will usually guide you through any problems. I've had mine for about 3 years and own two different models. \jac
Stuart Cracraft wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.