Roadside Asterisk is killing my lawn

I live in North Texas about 30 miles north of Ft. Worth. A couple of years ago these little flowers started to appear in late August and early September. They would bloom for a couple of months and then seem to disappear. Now they have taken over about 25% of my lawn in various places. They leave a dark ugly baren color after they bloom and are now spreading. I talked to a kid at the local gardening store and she said it was Roadside Asterisk. You have to spot treat it with weed killer that will also kill the grass. She suggested I wait until the grass is dormant but does this weed go dormant as well. She also said that pre-emergent and other particle weed killers will not work on it. I tried to do an on-line search of Roadside Asterisk but got nothing. Anybody know if this stuff goes by another name or have any alternative resources or suggestions I can use?
Thanks, Jim
JimO wrote:

Try searching for Roadside Aster or Wayside Aster.
Yeah, sounds like the one I have. I don't know what to do about it. I'm thinking of just taking a couple bottles of Round Up and just spray it all. I might be able to pull it from the sod since it's only in certain places because the root system is so tight. Either way, it's only a matter of time before it kills my entire yard.

years
places.
spreading.
Roadside
kill
this
particle
Hi Jim, can you describe what the plant looks like. What size and shape are the leaves, what color are the flowers, height etc. That will help alot