riding mower wheel help

i have a 1992 mtd 18HP riding mower with a flat back tire . i am going to put a tub in the tire if i can get it off the mower . there is no nuts or bolts just a coter pin and washer . igot them off NP but ican't get the wheel to slide off . i have tryed hammering , heat , penatrating oil over night , even driving in curcals to see if it would fall or pull its self off . if anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them thank you . Mike

Reply to
mackeal2001

Be careful you don't pull the axle shaft out. It can happen. I know from experience. :) You need a puller to get the wheel off. Check with a local dealer or repair shop. They may be able to order it for you.

Reply to
do_see

Something doesn't sound right. I don't remember ever having that much trouble getting a wheel off - and I've done a few of them for salvage.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I had one similar to the one he is describing. I guess if you don't lube the axle to tire shaft, it corrodes and is a bitch to remove. I tried the hammer to the tire bit and the whole shaft came out of the drive box. Took it to a local dealer/repair shop and he used a puller to remove the wheels. He also rebuilt the drive box for me too--at more than the mower was probably worth, I might add. :( Used it up till last year when the engine finally shelled.

Reply to
do_see

I had one similar to the one he is describing. I guess if you don't lube the axle to tire shaft, it corrodes and is a bitch to remove. I tried the hammer to the tire bit and the whole shaft came out of the drive box. Took it to a local dealer/repair shop and he used a puller to remove the wheels. He also rebuilt the drive box for me too--at more than the mower was probably worth, I might add. :( Used it up till last year when the engine finally shelled.

Reply to
do_see

Good luck. I've got the same problem 'cept I know why mine is seized. The battery box let go and dropped the battery on the transaxle pulley. The resultant spray of acid on the right side wheel (also on the brake shaft and disc) and axle fused the wheel to the axle. Knowing what I know now, I should have immediately pulled the wheel and brake disc and cleaned and lubed both. I've tried both med and large gear pullers to no avail - the wheel started deforming but still won't budge. Torch then coolant spray, etc. I've got to get the wheel off before I can get a puller on the brake disc.

I've come to the conclusion I gotta pull the (fairly new tire) off the rim and carefully cut the wheel off with a 4 1/2 inch grinder. If I can't get the brake disc off with a puller after this, it's find a used transaxle time.

I had to put a new tire on that wheel while it was still on the mower right after hurricane Rita. If I'd known (and not been in such a hurry) I would have dealt with it then.

Again, good luck.

Reply to
xPosTech

I used a harmonic balancer to get mine off,I just put 2 long bolts through the holes in the wheel,screwed the remover against the center of the axle,and it came right off.That's the way I removed both sides.I put grease on the axle shafts,now I can pull them off by hand easy. Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

about 10 years ago both rear tires were in need of replacement on my White GT1810 garden tractor. being unable to remove the wheels from the axle I used lots of soap and four tire irons to remove the tires from the wheels while the wheels were still on the axle. now ten years later it's almost time to repeat that little operation.

Reply to
Jim

i got it i just toke the tire off and left the rim on the tracker and pluged the tire . i did that couse i noticed the shaft getiing play in it . thanks for all the help . Mike

Reply to
mackeal2001