riding lawnmower blade question

I have a Craftsman 23hp 48" deck ,(3 blade), garden tractor and I removed the mower blades for sharpening. I didn't think to notice how they were oriented to each other before I removed them and I wondered if anyone knows how they are supposed to be mounted in relation to one another, 90 degrees to each other, 135 degress to each other, etc. for an optimal cut. It doesn't seem to be cutting as well as it used to and I was wondering if I didn't put them back on correctly.

Thanks, Snydley

Reply to
Snydley

If they're belt driven, I don't think it matters. If you had them all lined up when you started, due to slippage they would soon be out of sync. Are you sure they weren't installed upside down, or maybe not properly sharpened?

Reply to
Patch

No, they aren't upside down. It's not cutting that badly. I just wasn't sure about the orientation, that's all. Yes they are belt driven. There's nothing in the manual about orientation so I guess it's not a big deal. It might just be time for a sharpening, or new blades.

Thanks, Snydley

Reply to
Snydley

anyone knows

Nothing to worry about.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I have never seen a typical mower that had to have blades orientated. Just bolt them back up and turn the drive pulley by hanbd to satisfy your concern that they won;t hit each other........odds are they won;t!

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

If one blade is a different length than the other two it usually goes on the center spindle.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Reply to
mudpiemaker42

My two cents...

The two outboard blades on my deck are parallel to each other. The center blade is 90 degrees from the other two. Don't know if this setup is to help the way the clippings are ejected, but I always put them back on the same way.

Andy

Reply to
andy & lucinda

I just got an email back from Sears and they said the same thing. Makes sense to me.

Thanks, Snydley

Reply to
Snydley

Sounds like the alignment problem was answered. At least as important, sharpening and BLADE BALANCING!!

Reply to
golder