riding lawnmower blade question

I have a Craftsman 23hp 48" deck ,(3 blade), garden tractor and I removed the mower blades for sharpening. I didn't think to notice how they were oriented to each other before I removed them and I wondered if anyone knows how they are supposed to be mounted in relation to one another, 90 degrees to each other, 135 degress to each other, etc. for an optimal cut. It doesn't seem to be cutting as well as it used to and I was wondering if I didn't put them back on correctly.
Thanks, Snydley

up when you started, due to slippage they would soon be out of sync. Are you sure they weren't installed upside down, or maybe not properly sharpened?

No, they aren't upside down. It's not cutting that badly. I just wasn't sure about the orientation, that's all. Yes they are belt driven. There's nothing in the manual about orientation so I guess it's not a big deal. It might just be time for a sharpening, or new blades.
Thanks, Snydley
some of the old mowers had blades that needed to be put on so they wouldn't hit each other. they had gear boxes on the deck and a shaft ran between them. they also had a model that discharged grass out between the back wheels and this mower deck had a notched belt and the blades had to be put on the correct way. i`ve see a lot of people put the blades on upside down and not know it. lay the blades on the ground the "wings" should turn up and when they are bolted to the mower they should be the same pointing up

Ken
I have never seen a typical mower that had to have blades orientated. Just bolt them back up and turn the drive pulley by hanbd to satisfy your concern that they won;t hit each other........odds are they won;t!
On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:25:05 GMT, "Snydley"

Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

If one blade is a different length than the other two it usually goes on the center spindle.
My two cents...
The two outboard blades on my deck are parallel to each other. The center blade is 90 degrees from the other two. Don't know if this setup is to help the way the clippings are ejected, but I always put them back on the same way.
Andy
--
***remove "spambomb" from address to reply***

I just got an email back from Sears and they said the same thing. Makes sense to me.
Thanks, Snydley

sharpening and BLADE BALANCING!!