Rideing lawn mowing

Hi all, do anyone out there know of a site to help repair a rideing lawn mower? got this one from a friend been setting up for a year problem cannot shift the gears. but can jack it up and turn the wheels. this is a older model craftman 10 hp 30in cut.
on 5/21/2007 7:35 PM Jonesy82 said the following:

Check your local yellow pages for mower repair. It's kinda hard diagnosing a problem when you can't see it. I could venture a guess... Perhaps the shift rod is unhooked or missing.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Is it possible the clutch linkage is out of adjustment or the drive belt is too short? If the transaxle pulley has a bit of spin even when the clutch/brake is pushed that can cause the shifter to jam when it's running,,it keeps pressure on inside the trans and makes shifting near impossible..Does it shift with the engine off? If yes get the drive belt,idler pulley and linkage adjustment checked. I'm new to tinkering with them too but just had a similar problem that I've now fixed. I'm learnin. Dean

I wouldn't spend much time or money on it.