Rhubarb popped through

Two rhubarb plants have popped through. Most of the ground is still covered with a few inches of crust but the area over each rhubarb plant has cleared because of the manure compost we leeft on it in the late fall. About 1' diameter clearings.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Wow,,is that early for Your neck of the woods? My Mom had rhubarb in the backyard,If I caught it just right it was sweet n sour and way good..She used to make some excellent pies too..The old boy up the street used to dig some kind of root or something Mom had back there too then bring some jars of it to Her,,I forget what it was called but none of us younger kids would touch it with a 10' pole! Soo spicy-hot it would burn Yer tounge right off! The

4 walnut trees were what I liked,they produced wayyy more than We needed so We let some nut pickers harvest the rest and then just pick up sticks before mowing.. Dean
Reply to
Dean

I think you are talking about horseradish root. We have plenty of that too - but we stopped harvesting it cause we had trouble getting rid of it. Goes good with beef - or eggs - but it's a bitch to clean and grind up.

I'm in the mid Hudson Valley and the ground is clearing pretty quick down here now.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

"Horseradish"!! That's the stuff! I still wo'nt eat it to this day,,dunno why I had a mental block on the name..Mom could never eat it all or get rid of the few jars a year either,,it might have been good if it could be toned down about 90%!! OT side note-I talked to My Bro about putting the mower seat on a canoe with the recline option,,We can do it if I bring the seat and hinge.:) Dean

Reply to
Dean