Removing stains in toilet bowl?

I have brownish stains around inside top of toilet bowl. What is an easy (but effective) way to remove them?
I tried a recommended 'trick' of using coca cola, but could find no way to keep the bowl filled to the top so the coca cola could 'soak'. I don't know if that would have worked anyway.
What do you do?
Thanks
Get a rust remover product made for that purpose. The home centers have them, usually in the plumbing area, or else with cleaning products. They are amazingly effective, just squirting it on will make moderate stains disappear in seconds.
On 16 Aug 2005 06:38:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Will try
Thanks

Use a product called "Iron out". Dump some in the tank, let sit. Dump some in the bowl, let sit, then scrub the stains with the iron out in the water.
Works pretty good.
Kirb
On 25 Aug 2005 10:00:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

And just how do I get the water to stay in the bowl - filled?
TX

You don't. That is what scrubbing with the water in the bowl is for.
Kirb
On 28 Aug 2005 21:52:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Okay - It's just that most of my stains are just under the top lip of the bowl.
Thanks
geezer wrote:

I tried everything for years and nothing worked. Finally, "The Kerry(sp?) Brothers" radio program pointed me to oxalic acid. "Stainless Steel Cleaner" (spray can) and "Bartenders' Friend" are two products. The problem is that the stains are permangantes, not rust (iron oxide).

Depends on where you live.
Kirb