Removing small roots from lawn

Page 2 of 2
jeffc said:

I've probably laid more sod, in the past year, than you've laid in your entire life. I've never seen a sod farm pull 4" of soil on either a "big roll" or a pallet. Never. As in not one time. Sound's like *you're* the one that doesn't know how to 'transplant healthy grass'.

Apparently not, if you're replacing sections of thinning sod.

You act like bent's kid. Are you related?

Maybe I'm not. *shrug* But, at least I understand the interactions and reactions of different flora. That's quite a bit more than can be said for yourself.
--
Eggs

-If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

I'm not a sod farm idiot. Sod farms don't transplant 4" of soil. I do. It captures 1) more "topsoil" 2) more healthy root of established grass
I'm not transplanting rolls of sod, I'm transplanting small chunks by the shovel full to patch small areas.

You're not. And you're close minded and presumptuous as well.
jeffc said:

No, you're right. You're not an sod farm idiot. You're just an idiot.

No, that would be you. How many people have responded, agreeing with your method? How many have responded, telling you that your method is incorrect?
Case closed. *You're* the closed minded, presumptuous idiot, not me. ;)
--

Eggs

Is Marx's tomb a communist plot?

You got out of your book learning and comfort so fast you have no chance of thinking on your feet. You have basically no idea of the situation. Keep spouting your canned BS though, you talk a good game.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

OK :)

Exactly. So why did he make it that?

It was "touched upon" in my very first post, to wit: "several feet square"

It wasn't that I didn't get an answer I liked, it's that he didn't answer the question I asked. He answered the question he wanted to sound like a know-it-all about.

Boo Hoo.

WTF are you talking about? You're the one who brought it up Einstein.

You whine too much.

You're the one who brought it up Einstein.

You really are a clueless fucknut, jeff.
plonk

Yeah right. You're reading every post, and you know it.
jeffc wrote:

how long could a sod Farm continue as a sod Farm if they actually delivered sod with 4" of dirt attached?

I been reading Eggs for over a year and he is one of the very few posting in this group who actually displays an in-depth understanding for plant life.
you jeffc on the other hand, well, thanks for the entertainment.

I'm not a sod farm and I don't have to follow their rules. The more dirt you transplant with the healthy grass the better, especially since the soil is better than the soil it's replacing. Obviously they don't do it that way with sod farms. If you'd been paying attention, you'd understand the difference between what I'm trying to do and what a sod farm does. Use your head.
jeffc wrote:

your word selection of "Because the grass sod coming in" implies you are receiving a shipment of sod.

No, it doesn't. Nice try, but you're clueless too.
jeffc said:

If you have to do it, use loppers. Or hand pruners, if you've got a strong grip. That's what I use for cutting out the roots of the damned white aspen that send up shoots all over the yard. (The neighbor is retired and doesn't have the resources to have them professionally taken down, and they are too large and leaning too much to make them safe for non-professionals.)
Pick out bypass-cut loppers with the narrowest blades, the better to winkle them down into the dirt past the stones.

A good sharp hand axe.
Abe said:

You can't be serious.
--

Eggs

Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I'll show you a man
jeffc wrote:

If you don't care about the tree - they make pruning blades for sawzalls that really do a number on roots. They are about 8-10" long and go through dirt and roots with ease. I don't know about gravel and rocks. Maybe look for a carbide blade.
--
Art

Thank you for the helpful suggestions.