Reddish "Golf Balls" Appearing On Tree ?

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have this tree in my front yard about 29 feet tall or so. Have no idea what it is. Has pointed leaves, no cones.

Moved in about 4 yrs ago, and tree was like, well, just there since, and looking pretty.

Just now, WOW !

Zillions of round, reddish color, balls have appeared all over for the first time (at least in 4 yrs.). About 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

Surface is not smooth, has many protrusions going outward. Almost like a small golf ball, with the dimples going outward rather than inward.

Any idea what this is, and what is happening ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

on 9/14/2009 7:26 AM (ET) Robert11 wrote the following:

Not enough information. First, identify the tree, then you can search for diseases of that type of tree. It sounds like they may be galls which house tiny wasp larvae. There are many different types of galls that attack different tree species. Pictures would be most helpful in identifying the tree and gall.

Reply to
willshak

Could be an Kousa Dogwood.

Chas Hurst

on 9/14/2009 10:33 AM (ET) Chas Hurst wrote the following:

You're probably right. I was thinking more of a disease. The funny thing is, I have a Kousa Dogwood in my yard! See here for pic that I just took.

willshak

I've got one also, and it's covered with the red fruit. I have a number of seedlings growing around the parent tree-the fruit must be fertile.

Reply to
Chas Hurst