recommend a hand push mower (not petrol/electric)

hi everybody, im looking for a new mower. i have, at present, a qualcas
38cm which cuts almost perfectly until you set it at a very low hiegh when you then get "ripple" effect on the lawn. im after a petrol free/electric free mower minimum of 8 blades in th cylinder and preferably a 20" cutting width and something that will g down to about quarter inch cut.
Is there any out there with this spec or will i have to get a blad manufactured for my qualcast?
im almost completely satisfied with the qualcast because of its extrem lightness in weight and the blade is easy to sharpen by using a cordles drill and lapping compound.
or can this qualcast be modified by replacing the gears inside th wheel??? im hoping to find here a clever old hand who may have altered a existing handpush lawnmower so it performs like the old classics tha they dont seem to produce anymore, or is it i just cant find one......
thanks to you all for reading this thread and look forward to you replie
-- lousund
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:43:24 +0000, lousund

I can recommend the Brill Razor Cut 38, only 5 blades and only goes down to 14mm (about half inch) though.
Do you cut your lawn to a quarter inch?
Steven
--
You're a great friend, but if the zombies chase us I'm tripping you.

www.baldman.org.uk
'Steven Wayne[_2_ Wrote: > ;891169']On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:43:24 +0000, lousund

> qualcast

> down

hello steve, i dont cut my lawn to 1/4 inch but i would like to cut my lawn to a quarter of an inch if possible. i totally re-seeded the lawn 2 years ago with golf/bowling green seed and mixed in a good ratio of sand to the soil (about 70/30). at present its totally a lush green colour and weed free very healthy.
from your experience would the brill razorcut leave a ripple effect with 5 blades? or is the mower have a better gear system which gives it more rotations as you push it? thanks for your previous reply,
neil
--
lousund

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:23:37 +0000, lousund

My Brill has never left a ripple effect on a lawn, but I don't get to use it that often. I mostly use a Hayter rotary for the speed and grass collection.
The Brill grass box is almost useless. It's faster to leave it off and rake up the clippings after mowing.
Steven
--
You're a great friend, but if the zombies chase us I'm tripping you.

www.baldman.org.uk
*Mechanic*;891220 Wrote: > Hi there,

--
lousund

lousund;891241 Wrote: > hi *mechanic*, the al-ko looks a splendid bit of kit which i may put on > my shopping list. i have been watching the ransomes on e-bay and the > restored machines look as good as new. the only thing putting me off is > the heavy roller at the back. but with it having more blades it tick > more boxes than the newer more modern push mowers. decisions, > decisions.....!
The one thing you have to remember with the old Ransomes and similar, for all they were built to last and they perform brilliantly, they are obsolete.... parts will always be an issue should anything happen to it. And yes, as you say they are far heavier to push around but the finish (and stripe!) they leave is nothing short of perfect with the right lawn conditions
--
*Mechanic*