Re: Tree Identification

It's probably some variety of red maple- which is a native species for much of the eastern USA- the leaves may be reddish/green early in the season. If it's in your yard, it may be a landscape variety- which usually have a longer "red season" for the leaves- but, most will turn green. However, some seem to stay dark red through most of the season.

-- Joe Zorzin

OK, I'm a little baffled in identifying this one. Just outside my bay > window is something that clearly appears to be a maple (standard > 3-lobed leaf shape). When the foliage first appeared, the leaves were > red (crimson). Now I notice they are starting to turn green, although > almost all the leaves still have at least some red hue to them. When I > looked in my one tree book (Audobon field guide) I can't find anything > with red leaves (except for fall foliage which is not what I'm seeing). > Is this a native species or some exotic? (The tree is taller than my > two story house.) I can send pictures if it will help. > > Thanks, > > -- > --Chip > remove dots in prefix to fix email address > > >
Reply to
Joe Zorzin

The one I have is taller than my two story house. The leaves look to be between dark green and a reddish green (depending on the light). The leaves closer to the trunk appear to be greener. Those on the fringe seem to generally be redder.

Thanks,

Reply to
Chip G.