Re: Spreader recommendations needed

I am looking to get 2 spreaders. One, a drop spreader to work some

> small areas around the front of my housen and around the flower beds. > The other, a broadcast spreader for the bulk of the yard. > > Has anybody got a particular brand they suggest? I searched the 'net > and about all I could find was: > > 1. Stay away from cheap plastic stuff (i.e. everything available at > Lowes and Home Depot) > 2. They don't make 'em like they used to (i.e. if you can find an old > one at a yard sale snatch it up.) > > Earthway seems to be well-represented at internet retailers but I've > never seen them up close to be able to judge their quality. > > Any suggestions on brands that work well and last would be > appreciated. >

I bought a Scott's "Edge Guard" spreader this spring. It's seems well-built and has a retractable "guard" that allows the accuracy of a drop spreader while using a rotary. I've only used it twice, but I'm liking it so far. I bought mine at a local hardware, I have not seen them at the major retailers.

Jack

Reply to
JP

I'd watch out for a spreader that has a guard to control flow to one side as all the ones I've seen don't slow the fertilizer flow when the guard is dropped which will result in excess fert being delivered to the balance of the lawn.

You will pay quite a bit of money for a good broadcast spreader. In Canada we pay about $ 500.00 cdn for a decent commercial-grade one. The better ones have larger hoppers, all stainless parts, pneumatic wheels and the flow rates are very adjustable.

If you do purchase a good one remember to ALWAYS wash out the hopper after each application.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Well call me cheap, but the $30 Scotts drop spreader I bought at Target about 5 years ago seems to do a pretty good job of dropping fert. on the yard. It isn't rocket science, and I see little need for a homeowner (vs. a lawn care company) to spend anything close to the $500 mentioned in the other post.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I see plenty of reason, people with big lawms.

Reply to
Moparholic

I have 8/10 acre and the $30 walk behind seems fine. If I was lazier (or had an even bigger lawn) I could pick up a $70 tractor-pulled version at the local farm and fleet.

I'm curious what makes the expensive ones so much "better". This doesn't seem like rocket science-- it has to dump out product at a relatively metered rate and relatively even-- which my $30 Scotts seems to do just fine.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

If I recall correctly, Scotts claims that their Edge Guard model adjusts for this.

Reply to
Victor Grund

I have 2 acres and thought that was small.

Reply to
Chris

Do you feed it with a $30 spreader?

Reply to
Moparholic

Spread it by hand..just like feeding the chickens..

Reply to
Moparholic