Re: Spreader recommendations needed

snipped-for-privacy@rational.com (Rob Patrick) wrote in message

I bought a Scott's "Edge Guard" spreader this spring. It's seems well-built and has a retractable "guard" that allows the accuracy of a drop spreader while using a rotary. I've only used it twice, but I'm liking it so far. I bought mine at a local hardware, I have not seen them at the major retailers.
Jack

I'd watch out for a spreader that has a guard to control flow to one side as all the ones I've seen don't slow the fertilizer flow when the guard is dropped which will result in excess fert being delivered to the balance of the lawn.
You will pay quite a bit of money for a good broadcast spreader. In Canada we pay about $ 500.00 cdn for a decent commercial-grade one. The better ones have larger hoppers, all stainless parts, pneumatic wheels and the flow rates are very adjustable.
If you do purchase a good one remember to ALWAYS wash out the hopper after each application.
Peter H
If I recall correctly, Scotts claims that their Edge Guard model adjusts for this.
--
"Peter H" < snipped-for-privacy@notreallyrogers.com> wrote in message
news:NExOa.96586$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
Well call me cheap, but the $30 Scotts drop spreader I bought at Target about 5 years ago seems to do a pretty good job of dropping fert. on the yard. It isn't rocket science, and I see little need for a homeowner (vs. a lawn care company) to spend anything close to the $500 mentioned in the other post.
-Tim

GO# 40

I have 8/10 acre and the $30 walk behind seems fine. If I was lazier (or had an even bigger lawn) I could pick up a $70 tractor-pulled version at the local farm and fleet.
I'm curious what makes the expensive ones so much "better". This doesn't seem like rocket science-- it has to dump out product at a relatively metered rate and relatively even-- which my $30 Scotts seems to do just fine.
-Tim
I have 2 acres and thought that was small.

GO# 40

GO# 40