Re: Lawn Tractor Suggestions

ok, have to chip in here, to help the guy with the original question. You are in central Florida? Bahai and St. Augustine are some of the toughest grasses in the world to mow. And the fine sand in your soil has ruined many a good mower.

I was in commercial mowing for several years and still do it part time. All the people recommending Deere product blows me away, as I don't know many commercial operators who'd waste their money on it. Simplicity? Just bought out by Briggs and Stratton. That's not going to go over well in the long run. Simplicity does own Ferris, however, which is a much higher grade of mower.

My advice is this: Florida is the biggest market in the world for commercial mowing equipment. The turnover of commercial mowing equipment is phenomenal there. You should be able to pick up a good, used commercial unit for your 1800 bucks, and have the most comfortable, reliable and finest cutting mower you could ever hope to own.

G> *This is strickly an observation as my yard is much larger than > average... >

Monitoring your group I see alot of folks looking for longevity from > a lawn > tractor. None of the machinery suggested will come closs to matching > the > longevity of a compact tractor. I mow 8.6 acres of burmuda and > bushhog > another 9 acres. I own a 1967 Ford 3000 deisel that is still running > strong. > I'll sell it for what I paid for it IF I ever sell it. The same can > be said > for nearly any compact tractor built before 1980. These machines are > built > for farming and will last forever mowing large lawns. Look at what > the > highway dept in your area uses. Those guys have more grass than all > of us > combined! > > As for manuverablity, that's their weak point. If you must mow > around > obsticles, a larger zero-turn commercial mower is faster but I can > guarentee > it will be a pile of junk or heavily serviced (rebuilt) while my old > Ford is > still running strong. I also have tha advantage of a PTO shaft which > I use > to drive attachable emplements. > > These tractors can be had for $3000 to $5000 in rebuilt condition. > There is > an entire industry centered on rebuilding and selling them. They > weigh as > much as a small car and are not sheet metal junk like most mowers. > Large > turf tires allow them to have a footprint with similar lb-per-sq in > as a > small mower. > > Anyways...something to consider if you need to do large scale lawn > and > garden. > > Bill in TN > > > > > > > On 14-04-03 14:09, in article[/color][/color] > snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,[color=green][color=darkred] > > > > " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote:14-04-03 14:09 > > > > > > > > > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:14:14 GMT, "Tim Fischer" > > > > > > wrote: > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > >> Good luck with your Sears Crapsman, er. *Craftsman* mower. > > > > > > > > > > Yeah...my neighbor cheaped out and bought a Craftsman last > year. > > > > > Within 2 weeks the transmission crapped out, and he actually > had to > > > > > fight Sears to get them to stand behind it. > > > > > > > > > > Finally, he had a relative fix it, because Sears was giving > him > > > > > problems. > > > > I guess all that I can say is 'Vaya Con Dios' should you > purchase a > > > > Craftsman and expect longevity in using it. > > > > > > > > You get what you pay for... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I'd put my old 1983 Allis Chalmers 914Hydro(Simplicity) up > againt a[/color][/color] > green[color=green] > > > machine any day of the week! 20 years old and it still thinks > it's a[/color] > pup.[color=green][color=darkred] > > > >[/color] > > > > I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one. I have been working > on > > lawn-mowers since I was about 12 years old. I have customers who > > bought a Simplicity in the '70's and only bring it in once a year > to > > be sharpen and tuned. Amazing machines that with the proper care > will > > probably outlast your desire to mow your own grass. Also when > they > > break down, the company is still around and parts are available > for > > them. That is a very important think to be mindful of. Also > looking > > for a unit with single piece steel deck is a good thing. Tend to > last > > longer and do not rust through like the craftsman.[/color] *
Reply to
PrestoChang0

Just be aware that a machine used commercially for one year has more wear and tear on it than a homeowner puts on a machine in 10 years.

Reply to
Srgnt Bilko

Sorry if this is repetitive, but I subscribed to this NG just recently.

I will be moving to NE Connecticut the beginning of next year, and I will need a good all round lawn tractor.

I'll be on 4.5 acres, a good portion of it cleared (grass). I'd also like to be able to snow plow, as the driveway is paved and about 200 ft. long. I'll probably want to have a hitch and trailer as well, as so I can make it a good all round multi purpose vehicle for hauling things like firewood as well as other things around the yard.

I'd like to get some practical opinions on some different brands and models. This is new territory for me (never had to use more then a 5 hp push mover), though I am mechanically inclined so maintenance doesn't worry me.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
L Alpert

First a little about terminology, they differentiate between a *lawn* tractor and a *garden* tractor - with the GT being a little heavier duty. At first blus it sounds like you need a GT or something big.

I wouldn't try to *plow* a 200' driveway in NE CT with an LT or a GT. That sounds like either a snowblower attachment to a GT or a plow on a bigger unit.

With that much lawn you'll need something with a wide mower deck - say 48" or better.

I'm now thinking 3 machines - a new Zero turn mower (they are much faster at mowing), a medium size walk behind snowblower (new or used), and a used tractor with cart.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I have been thinking of a plow attachment for a 4 x 4 instead of using a GT. I have looked at the zero turn mowers and was thinking that I could get a utility type vehicle along with it if a single vehicle doesn't look like it would fit the bill.

Thanks for the response.

Reply to
L Alpert

Sounds like a plan. My nephew (an experienced plower) loves his ATV with plow.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

youll need to get a real ,small type farm tractor with mowing ,plowing implements, like a pull behind finish mower.. john deere has some good small farm tractors. youll need at least 5-6 foot cut or youll be out there a long time mowing, lucas

ds549

OK a Dixie Chopper will do it all and do it fast also last a long time. Go to

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly

A plow on an ATV in the northeast might not be what you want. I have had both a plow and a snowblower mounted on my garden tractors here in NY, and the blower is much better and faster. In the northeast, it is not uncommon to have two or three heavy snowfalls in a week (8" to 12"). At some time, you are going to run out of space to push the snow. When I had the plow, it seemed my driveway got more narrower with each snowfall. I like the idea of throwing the snow some 20 or 30 feet onto the lawn. Heavy snow will be a little problem for the plow, but not the blower. Another thing is that I can drive right up to the garage doors and throw the snow out of the way.

Reply to
willshak

That's the way I view it too.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I went through Greencastle IN and there is a Kabota dealer there. He has about 20 Tractors setting around equiped all ways. He was cleaning a 9 inch snow off with a Dixie Chopper.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly

A lot that big reequires two machines. For mowing I would select the John Deere Commercial 60 in deck or equivelent that has good ground speed as a minimum. You don't want to spend 2 days a week mowing. A good small 25 hp tractor should handel the other items. Stick with the Deere.

Reply to
tightwad

Kubota BX2230 with a 60" deck.

Reply to