Re: Lawn Tractor Suggestions

ok, have to chip in here, to help the guy with the original question. You are in central Florida? Bahai and St. Augustine are some of the toughest grasses in the world to mow. And the fine sand in your soil has ruined many a good mower.
I was in commercial mowing for several years and still do it part time. All the people recommending Deere product blows me away, as I don't know many commercial operators who'd waste their money on it. Simplicity? Just bought out by Briggs and Stratton. That's not going to go over well in the long run. Simplicity does own Ferris, however, which is a much higher grade of mower.
My advice is this: Florida is the biggest market in the world for commercial mowing equipment. The turnover of commercial mowing equipment is phenomenal there. You should be able to pick up a good, used commercial unit for your 1800 bucks, and have the most comfortable, reliable and finest cutting mower you could ever hope to own.
Gina Daggett wrote:

--
PrestoChang0
message

Just be aware that a machine used commercially for one year has more wear and tear on it than a homeowner puts on a machine in 10 years.
Sorry if this is repetitive, but I subscribed to this NG just recently.
I will be moving to NE Connecticut the beginning of next year, and I will need a good all round lawn tractor.
I'll be on 4.5 acres, a good portion of it cleared (grass). I'd also like to be able to snow plow, as the driveway is paved and about 200 ft. long. I'll probably want to have a hitch and trailer as well, as so I can make it a good all round multi purpose vehicle for hauling things like firewood as well as other things around the yard.
I'd like to get some practical opinions on some different brands and models. This is new territory for me (never had to use more then a 5 hp push mover), though I am mechanically inclined so maintenance doesn't worry me.
Thanks in advance.

First a little about terminology, they differentiate between a *lawn* tractor and a *garden* tractor - with the GT being a little heavier duty. At first blus it sounds like you need a GT or something big.
I wouldn't try to *plow* a 200' driveway in NE CT with an LT or a GT. That sounds like either a snowblower attachment to a GT or a plow on a bigger unit.
With that much lawn you'll need something with a wide mower deck - say 48" or better.
I'm now thinking 3 machines - a new Zero turn mower (they are much faster at mowing), a medium size walk behind snowblower (new or used), and a used tractor with cart.
Srgnt Billko wrote:

I have been thinking of a plow attachment for a 4 x 4 instead of using a GT. I have looked at the zero turn mowers and was thinking that I could get a utility type vehicle along with it if a single vehicle doesn't look like it would fit the bill.
Thanks for the response.

Sounds like a plan. My nephew (an experienced plower) loves his ATV with plow.
Srgnt Billko wrote:

A plow on an ATV in the northeast might not be what you want. I have had both a plow and a snowblower mounted on my garden tractors here in NY, and the blower is much better and faster. In the northeast, it is not uncommon to have two or three heavy snowfalls in a week (8" to 12"). At some time, you are going to run out of space to push the snow. When I had the plow, it seemed my driveway got more narrower with each snowfall. I like the idea of throwing the snow some 20 or 30 feet onto the lawn. Heavy snow will be a little problem for the plow, but not the blower. Another thing is that I can drive right up to the garage doors and throw the snow out of the way.
--
Bill

That's the way I view it too.
youll need to get a real ,small type farm tractor with mowing ,plowing implements, like a pull behind finish mower.. john deere has some good small farm tractors. youll need at least 5-6 foot cut or youll be out there a long time mowing, lucas
OK a Dixie Chopper will do it all and do it fast also last a long time. Go to www.dixiechopper.com
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
I went through Greencastle IN and there is a Kabota dealer there. He has about 20 Tractors setting around equiped all ways. He was cleaning a 9 inch snow off with a Dixie Chopper.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
L Alpert wrote:

For mowing I would select the John Deere Commercial 60 in deck or equivelent that has good ground speed as a minimum. You don't want to spend 2 days a week mowing. A good small 25 hp tractor should handel the other items. Stick with the Deere.
tightwad wrote:

Thanks. I'll take it under advisement.
snipped-for-privacy@xxgmail.com says...

--