Re: Irrigation system: trenching vs trenchless?

I'm not sure where you are, but here in NC we have very hard clay and my neighbor had a system installed using the "pipe puller" which is trench less. I sat and watched the machine work and the first thing I noticed it was not burring the pipe deep enough and he will have problems aerating the lawn. This fall he aerated and seeded. When he turned on water it was leaking from everywhere. Also, even if you hit the pipe and did not brake it right away it will put micro cracks in the PVC and over time it will crack.

Contractors love to use it because it saves them time and money. Pay the extra bucks to have it trenched and don't worry about the extra mess you will never have to worry about hitting pipes.

Or install it yourself, If you think you might want to I can shoot you a web site that is the best on the net for do it yourselfers. Do not use the free design offers from the manufactures or you will be sorry!

I also have some other tips for you if you choose to have a contractor install your system, that will have you some major bucks down the road.

Reply to
brett

I'm in Northern Ohio. It's the most popular form of installation by far. I did mine with it, worked great!

Reply to
Steveo

Thanks for all the comments. Although I would love to do it myself, unfortunately I don't have the time/experience to start with a project like this. So, when hiring someone, beside the installation system, are there any other questions to ask to make sure they will make a good job? (I have obviously asked for references of recent and old costumers). Thanks again,

John F.

Reply to
John F

Code is important. Make sure your backflow is up to current standards.

Reply to
Steveo

Hi All,

I was reading all these post's because I will be doing a sprinkler system in the very near future. I should say, I will be adding to the one that is already there. I would love to have that web site you were talking about and any other tips that you could provide. A sprinkler systems is something I have never done and the lessons learned and other info would be great. Right now there are three zones connected, but only two work and I do not know how to figure out which one belongs to what number on the timer without cutting wires until I find the right one. Also I will be adding the other three zones to have a complete six. We just bought this house and are doing a lot of landscaping and will need all six zones.

Thanks for any info provided. John Murrieta, CA.

Reply to
John