Re: headache lawn

your yard is not very big. pull the weeds yourself. it is very easy. the fertilizer will not get rid of the weeds once they have established... only kill them. yardwork is not yardwork for nothing. it's good exercse. some or most weeds grow in dry conditions which means they will die or drown if the ground is kept wet.
quaspro wrote:

third week in August. Then spread an inch of good topsoil, and reseed, cover with a little straw or peat moss, stand back and watch it grow. You will be cutting it in three weeks.(keep moist)
Good luck.
--
GO# 40

I would take this advice with a grain of salt.
Peter H

You may want to break down and bring in the pros for a season or two.
I haven't seen many lawns that weren't salvageable, but have to admit that there have been some.
Peter H
The very best time to apply fertilizer is in the fall. Second best is in late April using one that contains pre-emergent crabgrass control. I generally do not apply fertilizer in the summer as the combination of high temps, water and nitrogen can promote disease and fungus and there is the potential to burn. If the lawn is properly maintained it will do fine in summer without fertilizer.
Go get a 2 gal tank sprayer and a broadleaf weed killer like Weed B Gone. Spray the weeds, but not when the weather is expected to be real hot. I'd probably let the crabgrass go at this point. (Are you sure it's crabgrass? The crabgrass plants are still small to med size right now.) The retail products are not great at eliminating it. They take multiple applications and usually kill grass with it. The best product which does work is Aclaim, however it is not a retail product. Whatever crabgrass you have is yours and can only spread to the neighbor via seeds for next year.
What has your watering practice been? You should only water when it hasn't rained. The lawn should get 1" every 5-7 days, depending on temps and soil type. It's better to wait for the signs the lawn needs water rather than overwater. Shallow frequent watering is the worst.
Get your soil tested. In the fall, you can adjust the PH, fertilize and reseed where necessary. If the lawn is a real mess and has undesirable grasses growing, you will be better off killing it and reseeding. For full sun areas, I'd go with a tall fescue/blue grass mix, buying the best seed you can find.