Re: Ground Ivy taking over my lawn

Start pulling..hug a tree every now and then too. ;)

I seen an ad for the weed popper once, it might of been by ronco.
--
GO# 40

Ground ivy isn't hard to kill with any 3-way herbicide. The problem is killing the shit in beds or neighbors's yards. It will vine back.
We hit them every 6 to 8 weeks as needed.
--
GO# 40

2-4D, dicamba, and mcpp for the most part, we only treat as needed.

The only prevention is the pre-e crabgrass control, and the fertilizer helps turf density..less room for weeds.

They make a decent product, liquid weed control works a lot better than the dry. If you continue to have vining weed problems such as ground ivy, try some liquid weed b gone from Ortho. It sticks to the weeds -much- better.
Some of those 'hard to kills' have a wax cuticle, so the weed and feed powder falls off.
--
GO# 40
Since you're concerned about chemicals, I would not use the Scotts fertilizer/weed killer which goes over the entire lawn. For a reasonable size lawn, you can use a 2 gal tank sprayer with a weed killer like Weed B Gone and just spot treat the weeds. Once you have a good lawn, it's hard for weeds to get established and occasional spot treatment is all you need. That will minimize the amount of herbicide.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmailnospam.com wrote in message wrote:

Thanks, folks, for your insightful advice!
I think I'll try Weed B Gone on a dense patch of Ground Ivy and keep the baby away from that area. Then I'll see how effective it is and proceed from there...
Thanks again!
Dave :)

first of all here's a link for you..
http://problemsolving.scotts.com/index.cfm?poeSiteId=&partnerId 0013&ct=weather_inbox&cn=Tu_Problem_Main&filterId090
what worked for me was a combination attack. Broadleaf weed killer, bend over and pluck the stuff-comes up pretty easy.., mow a little higher to block out the sun.., fertilize and water the grass to make it strong, healthy and "take over" the creeping charlie,moneywort or ground ivy. I had quite an infestation earlier this year with about maybe 1or 2% remaining in my bermuda (memphis) lawn.