Re: Bermuda Lawn

The best time to TRY to kill the Bermuda is at the height of the growing season.If it is well established you can spray Round-Up forever and not kill it off.Round-up will do nothing to kill the abundant "runners" the Bermuda grows from and it will come back relentlessly. I have watched my neighbor spray Round-Up for six years on the Bermuda patch in his fescue lawn and it never works.So he has finally succumbed to the fact that he will have to live with it. Also,if you try to burn it off,it just gets stronger form the nitrogen. Good luck!
This is what I have heard to do. I think I will try it in the spring. Mix a 4% solution 4 oz of pure round up that you get from a professional dealer to 100 oz of water. Add two -3 drops of Joy diswashing soap to act as an agent to stick the round up to the leaf. Start when you first see the first signs in the spring. Spray everything & wait4-6 weeks. When you see any green hit it again, and again and again until the fall. If you leave anything it will come back. I think I'll try it in Spring 04 at least as a test in part of the yard. If it works I'll do the whole lawn in 05 then replace with Fescue sod or a fine bermuda called Tiffway. I live in SE Virginia. Good Luck Jackson