Questions re lawn weeds

My large backyard is constantly infested with weeds. It is mostly grass rather than lawn. I can't use herbicides because my backyard borders a wild bird sanctuary and lake. What do you suggest for getting rid of the weeds? I have used a handy tool called the Weed Popper, but it's tines are too far apart and often miss the roots of the weeds. Also can weeds like dandelions reroot themselves if they are left on top of the ground? Thanks for any advice.
tenplay wrote:

What do the bird sanctuary and lake have to do with prohibiting your use of herbicides? If you're careful and follow label directions you should have no problem.
Crash Street Kidde wrote:

It is one of the homeowner association rules around here.
tenplay wrote:

90% of weed control is a healthy lawn. Mow the grass a little higher next year, especially in the spring, and you may eliminate a fair number of the weeds that way alone.
Dandelions shouldn't reroot themselves but the risk of reseeding is high unless you remove them from the property. We yard-bag ours and send them to a city compost facility.
You should also have a weed fork and use that on your hands and knees (alas) to get the root out.
Is there a source for the weeds such as the sanctuary? Perhaps establishing a buffer with a planting bed, maybe a berm, will help.

While I agree that a healthy lawn with good turf is the best way to keep weeds out, the truth is it's nearly impossible and certainly impractical to get there from an existing poor turf that is full of weeds without using chemicals.
Chet Hayes wrote:

I tend to feel that way myself, but I didn't make the HOA rules nor did I decide to move there.
If he's limited to "natural" methods he will have to get better advice than he can get here, most likely, such as from his extension agent or a landscaper who works in the area. His neighbors may well have techniques that work better or worse for them.
Failing that, institute weed control by teenager.

Teenagers don't pull weeds these days, they grow it.
On 7 Sep 2004 19:57:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

Nah, they dn't smoke weed these days....\ The be sucking on the devils dick (AKA Crack Pipe
Call an Organic Lawn Fertilizer Company and get an estimate to have them fertilize for you. Although they may be a little above normal, I've seen the best looking lawns are done with organic fertilizer..
------------------- www.askalandscaper.com

Show me one effective organic selective turf herbicide.

Your gonna make me work eh? lol Let me give my friend a call at Natural Choice.. http://www.westhartfordct.net/business_details.asp?marketingarea=NEWPARKROAD&businessid092
This is all i can find on him. Every lawn this guys fertilizes is the best.. I think i have a pic of one somewhere.. hang tight

See if your friend owns a weed popper. lol

interpritation as to what you have on the truck.
In Chemistry, an Organic compound is one containing Carbon atoms.
The opposite term is Inorganic.
--
Kerry voted for that, before he voted against it.

I'm sure there's some info somewhere on how to take care of a lawn 'naturally'. For starters, using an safe/natural pre-emergent in the early spring and late fall will do wonders. For keeping thing's tidey, allow the grass to grow out from time to time during the early summer, this chokes out young weeds... Also, don't mow too low, sounds simple but it does wonders... With Kentucky Blue Grass, anything under 4in is too low and allows weeds to sprout.... in abundance. there are a few other things that you can do naturally...
Here's a link with some good tips: http://eartheasy.com/grow_lawn_care.htm
Will L G