Question on my Cleveland Pear Trees ???

I planted some ten Cleveland Pear trees some 3 years ago. They are about 10 feet high now.
Thing is - some of them are showing something that I have not encountered before in my long life.
They have grown with roots emanating outward (not downward) some inches below the surface, Now growths are emanating upward from the roots somewhat like suckers would. There are several such growths - a foot or less high until I clip them off.
I am not sure what to do. Am I damaging the main trees by cropping off the growths? How can I stop them? Am I stuck with them?
I fear that maybe the ground is so hard that the root systems can not go downward and so that is the root of my problem. If so, there is not much that I can do I guess.
Anyone?
Thanks
I don't think it's harmful to clip off the growth from the roots, but you may want to top dress them with some top soil. Do you water?

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:41:17 GMT, "Frank Knight"

I have not tried either top dressing or watering. Do you think watering would help? Or is that a negative?
Thanks for interest.