Question on Motion Detectors

Do they work 24 hours or just at night? That is, will the light sense motion and turn the light on even at noon?
Dumb and curious.
Geezer
Motion detectors used on their own in a circuit, such as in an area intrusion system or burglar alarm, will always work while the system is armed. Motion detectors used in conjunction with a day/night electric eye, of the type used in outdoor floodlights, will work only when the electric eye senses that the ambient light is low enough to turn on the floodlight. The motion detector and the electric eye are in effect two switches wired in series between the source power and the floodlight. If either switch is open then the floodlight remains off.
Tom

open
Agreed. So just bypass the electric eye and it will work 24/7 4 U.

Thanks
My concern was that I installed one this noon and it lit the light ONCE. Then never again. Maybe tonight after dark, I will know the answer for sure.
Thanx agin
Geezer

of
eye
The
in
Test it anytime by covering the eye with dark tape.
geezer wrote:

Some models have an eye built in that won't allow it to work in daylight. Time to read the box.
Cheaper ones work day or night.
Kirb

This is part of a burglar alarm?
I don't get this. It's a motion detector and people move even during the day. Including burglars.
I thought it used infrared and that it measured the IR coming from a warm body. When I had one it worked at all times.

My motion / heat detector lights work only at night.

Every one that I have seen, the motion detector works regardless of light level. Also, every one that I have seen that is used as a light controller also have a photocell, so that for the light to go on it must be dark and motion must be detected.
The motion lights I have used also have a slide switch that can be set to test mode, so that you can adjust and aim the motion sensor in daylight.