Question for Steveo

Just wondering what part of the country you do business in. You seem to know quite a bit about cool season turf grass. I live in zone 8 (North AL, a few miles South of the TN border) which is a transisitional zone. You see both turf grasses such as fescue and warm weather grasses such as bermuda and centipede. None of these grasses are really ideal for our climate. We have hot dry summers that really stress most varieties of fescue and we will occasionally see below 0 ºF winter temperatures that will kill bermuda.

Personally I just like the look of the turf type grasses better and think it is a plus to have something green to look at in the winter (my fescue stays green while all the bermuda lawns go dormant and brown). I've been experimenting with varieties of fescue that are bred for resistance to full sun and drought and have an in ground sprinkler system to make my own rain (though that can get expensive during the really dry years). So far I've used Rebel III/Rebel Excedia and Southern Gold. Right now it looks like the Southern Gold has got both Rebel varieties beat. Do you have any recommendations for fescue varieties for hotter climants.

Thanks

Reply to
John Crichton

I'm in N Ohio, John.

28 years of pure hell, and some fun. :)

The only thing I'm familiar with that might help you are the improved turf type tall fescues. They enjoy warmer soil temps than cool season grasses. I'm sorta a fish outta water for your turf climate but I do know they offer some forgiveness toward zones.

Here's a few fescue choices, brand names are relative. Look at the content tag before buying.

Good luck.

Steveo

look at.

Thanks again.

Reply to
John Crichton

No problem John. One more thing about those fescues, over-seeding thin areas is a good idea. Good luck.

Reply to
Steveo