Question about lawn

Hi, I have had recent digging in my back yard due to broken pipes. They did a decent job of putting the lawn back, but there are still many spots that are all browned out now, and some spots where the grass is completely missing. The people that did the excavating said to wait about two weeks for everything to settle. My question is, what is the best way to fill in the missing lawn, and get rid of the brown spots? TIA.

-- Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Brown? Do mean there are spots where no grass grew, or it grew, but died & turned brown?

In most of the country, this is NOT the best time to be starting new grass seed. You didn't mention where you lived, so we have no way of knowing YOUR situation. In any case, I'd call the company that did the excavating and tell them you need a return visit to reseed the bad spots.

When utilities do excavation in the summer and then re-seed, the homeowner's between a rock and a hard place. If the company waits for the optimum time to reseed, weeds will take over the bare areas. If they reseed immediately, there's a good chance that the result is what you've seen.

If it were my lawn, I'd have them come back immediately (since it costs nothing). But, around here, our local utility seems to use the lousiest quality seed they can find. In 3 areas I've seen where they've excavated, the weeds are outrageous. My own lawn's almost weed free, except for the 15 foot strip where they dug last summer. So, if I were you, I'd get a spreader and some seed that's appropriate for your area, and overseed at the right time. Go to a real garden center and ask for advice on which seed to use.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It died and turned brown, since it was green before. Also there were some spots that they couldn't put the sod back saying they could never put it back exactly as it was, so it's bare dirt.

I'm in the Central Valley of CA where it's extremely hot right now.

homeowner's

immediately,

OK, thanks for the timely answer. I will go to a nearby nursery and check with them.

excavated,

Thanks, I will do that. I just wanted some idea of what's involved.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Just for fun, you might want to lodge a complaint with the utility, and ask that they deduct the cost of seeding from your bill. Save your receipts. I think you'll get away with it. Their contractor is NOT about to start using decent quality grass seed because of one complaint, so it's really up to you to do it right.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Wow! OK....I thought this was the kind of digging they do, where they just show up and tear up half the street, on their dime.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

receipts. I

OK, thanks for the tips. I'm certainly in a complaint lodging mood right now. ;-) I was charged $3250.00 for the job.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Ask for the world, they will at least fix what they disturbed, to your satisfaction, which is all you can really expect.

You may have to deal with a sub-contractor.

Reply to
Steveo