Putting green Help

HI
I am a novice gardner but am thinking of installing a putting green i my garden. I want this to be natural as I hate the thought o synthetic. Can anyone give me advice on replacing the current gras etc...
Thanks
Deni
-- Irishden
Irishden wrote:

eggs is the golf course person.
I'd begin by asking you your location, because that's going to play a big part in what turf type would be best suited to the growing conditions offered by your climate.
then we'd talk process.
HI
I live in cheshire. The area I wish to turn into a putting green i sloped away from the house. I have done all the prep work and reall just need to know about the current grass etc.. do i kill it or us that?
thanks
deni
-- Irishden

How could you possibly do the prep work for a green, and not know what kind of grass to plant? I don't know how anyone could look at a green and think you could create one in your backyard and maintain it. Bent grass, which is typically used, needs to be watered daily, mowed with a special mower every couple days, treated with fungicide in hot weather.... And the prep work and getting the exact right soil mix is critical. Bottom line, unless you're prepared to spend a lot of time and money, it ain't gonna work.

Synthetic is going to be a cash cow before long, not just for greens either. Get your bobcat ready.
Thanks for all the support
-- Irishden
Irishden said:

You're fscking nuts. =)
Do you really think that maintaining a putting green requires only "novice gardening experience"? (serious question)
--

Eggs

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Well, I've seen and talked to some of the people that maintain putting greens... Not impressed. I know for fact they didn't plant/seed the original green. That's what the OPs question is about. Dave

I see. You just have to seed it and then it takes care of itself? And it's better to answer the OP's question with "bent grass", rather than explain why what they are trying to do is nearly impossible.
You may not be impressed with some of the people that maintain greens, but I assure you, if the golf course is in any decent shape, there is someone there supervising that knows what they are doing.
Dave said:

[borked OE quoting snipped]

Whether or not you're impressed with Bubba at the local public course, is irrelevant (especially considering the rest of your post).

I don't consider it even remotely proper to instruct someone on how to install something that they have absolutely no idea how to (or, probably the resources to) maintain it. That's what the replies were all about.
You don't just plant a putting green, and treat it like any other lawn. First of all, it isn't planted on a base of soil, so the OP's "prep work" is all for naught. Explaining to them all of the things necessary to install *and* maintain it would take MUCH more than a few newsgroup posts. I'm sure you don't understand that.
--

Eggs

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.