Push button starter

I have 2 old Farmall tractors (actually 4 but two in particular) - one is not running. The other has a starter problem. I want to take the starter out of the 1st and put it in the 2nd. Trouble is the one I want to replace is mechanical lever energized and the one I want to put in was started by push button which was wired direct - battery to switch, switch to starter. I bought a new heavy duty push button ($17 at NAPA) and was planning to make a mount for it. But now I'm thinking instead of running battery cables to and from the switch, I should be thinking about installing a starter solenoid - but it would have to be real heavy duty cause these are 6 volt tractors. Any thoughts ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Tractor Supply

xPosTech

Sarge

I just remembered how convoluted the TSC web site was. Use the link above to locate the store nearest you and get the address and phone #. I took a quick peek at the site and didn't see any solenoids, but can guarantee they carry both 12v and 6v solenoids (and you can pickup a carb rebuild kit or two while you're there).

The Farmall (Model B) I had didn't have a solenoid on it. No lights or starter either, but would start on the first 'push' of the crank almost every time.

Reply to
xPosTech

I checked the TSC catalogue and saw all kinds of tractor parts - except no solenoid. NAPA's site shows a bunch of heavy duty solenoids but 12 or 24 volt (no 6 volt) and they ran $70 to $100. Maybe I better go back to converting these suckers from 6 to 12 volt like I've threatened to do for a couple years..

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

They are still living in the physical not online store world. They do have 6V solenoids but I agree it would probably be best to go ahead and convert. We did it back in the 19 and 50s when dropping v8s into early chevys. The wiring is plenty big enough to handle 12v (half the current) and we replaced the lights as they blew. The 6v starter will work for quite a while, too (it'll spin up /really/ fast) if it starts easily. Just keep cranking time short.

Good luck either way you decide to go.

Reply to
xPosTech

on 10/8/2007 12:20 AM Srgnt Billko said the following:

Will anything here help?

willshak

BINGO !! And the switches were cheaper too !!

T/Y

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

If that switch you got looks like a old dimmer switch in older cars you don't need a solenode wire it direct and it should work. It should have large lugs on it for battery cable, if so wire it direct.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

It is like the old dimmer switch but as I wrote in my original post:

"But now I'm thinking instead of running battery cables to and from the switch, I should be thinking about installing a starter solenoid - but it would have to be real heavy duty cause these are 6 volt tractors. "

It's 3' from the starter to where the switch will have to mount and another

2' from the switch to the battery. That's a lot of battery cable - and since all the newer stuff uses solenoids, it seems like it should be a consideration when changing thngs around.
Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Hey Sarge

Here's another source for old tractor parts if you need any in the future. Check'em out.

Regards

Reply to
xPosTech