Pulling stump apart

Who's been pulling this stump apart ? Too much activity for woodpeckers. What other animals (?) could be doing it ?
Pic at http://360.yahoo.com/srgntbilko

Srgnt Billko wrote:

ET mistook it for a cow.
Srgnt Billko said:

Without a "before" pic, it's hard to tell that it's been "pulled apart". To me, it looks like it's finally broke down enough to fall apart. Maybe if you dig around a bit in it, you'll see signs of carpenter ants or even termites? If they're present, they could be the cause, or perhaps something was trying to get at the ants/termites/whatever.
*shrug* just a guess. =)
--

Eggs

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

I don't see any of those critters on the surface but there must be some little creatures inside to make it attractive.
Srgnt Billko wrote:

A bear obviously.

We haven't seen a bear there in about 10 years but it could be. We have looked around in the soft muddy ground and don't see any tracks though.

How about a skunk?

That's a good possibility
Srgnt Billko said:

Yup. Most likely rooting for ants or termites. =)
--

Eggs

A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.