Pulling stump apart

Who's been pulling this stump apart ? Too much activity for woodpeckers. What other animals (?) could be doing it ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Srgnt Billko

ET mistook it for a cow.

Reply to
Doug G

Without a "before" pic, it's hard to tell that it's been "pulled apart". To me, it looks like it's finally broke down enough to fall apart. Maybe if you dig around a bit in it, you'll see signs of carpenter ants or even termites? If they're present, they could be the cause, or perhaps something was trying to get at the ants/termites/whatever.

*shrug* just a guess. =)
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I don't see any of those critters on the surface but there must be some little creatures inside to make it attractive.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

A bear obviously.

Reply to
Dean A. Markley

We haven't seen a bear there in about 10 years but it could be. We have looked around in the soft muddy ground and don't see any tracks though.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

How about a skunk?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

That's a good possibility

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Yup. Most likely rooting for ants or termites. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly