pull starter for bad solenoid?

Went over to our American Legion Post today and worked on a couple of mowers we use on the 10 acre grass areas.
One needed blade changeout. No problem.
The other is dead, with a brand new battery. It's the classic old bad solenoid syndrome/symptom.
I was going to find the solenoid and jump it to verify it's the culprit. But, it seems to me that the solenoid must be inside the starter case. The wire from the positive battery terminal goes straight to a terminal on the side of the starter.
I talked to a guy in passing who said: "oh yeah, these newer mowers have starter soenoid units inside one case. If either is bad, you have to replace the whole unit".
Is this true? If this is the situation, I may as well get busy pulling the starter unit.
Hello Rbig, Sounds like that solenoid is inside the starter, should also be a thin wire from that starter term. to the ign. switch, if so, change entire starter, if not, follow wires from ign. switch to solenoid & jump. Mike D
Yes. My conclusion, also. I'll check it out.

mowers
The
the
Before you do, I'd call around to the local Auto Parts, or Automotive Electrical store to see who can test the starter. I'd have it 'bench checked' to verify the problem prior to spending $$. This is also the place that will likely repair your current unit and not try to sell you a complete new one. Larry

the
have
place
complete
Right - we have a senior locally who had a starter / generator rebuild business for years. Retired now, he still does the rebuild - but doesn't advertise - and you might have to wait 2 or 3 weeks - but the job is done right - and he doesn't rob you.