PTO front belt brakes

This applies to front PTO shaft driven decks: the brake on front PTOs is to help stop the belt revolution once the idler pulley is released. Start the deck drive, the brake is off. Turn the deck drive off, the brake is on.

I may be making a mod to the front that will make it necessary to remove the brake. I'm not sure I see any particular reason why this would be a problem. Yes, the blades might spin a bit longer without the brake than with it.

Anyone see a particular problem?

Reply to
rb

No problem, except for the obvious one - you loose the ability to stop the blades quickly in case of emergency. Say a cat (one that you happen to like) dives under the mower, or a child comes running up to you, stops short and slips on the grass and winds up partially under the mower. Or someone not as safety conscience as you is using the mower and does something stupid. There are any number of reasons you may want to stop the blades as quickly as possible. None of them very common but those situations do occur. It would really suck to encounter one of those after having disabled the brake. IMHO, you should work your modification around the brake.

Reply to
Art

Thanks very much. That confirms my opinion. I will try to work around it.

Reply to
rb