protecting roses

Last year we didn't wrap our rose bushes well enough, and both of them died (it was a pretty cold winter). I was wondering if it would be ok just to drop like a plastic garbage can over the bushes and make sure it doesn't blow away. It would certainly keep the wind off. I noticed that a guy up the road is doing something similar to one of his bushes using a plastic barrel.
Any opinions?
donald girod wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?q=winterize+roses