Proper sand for lawn..

I'm in South Carolina Columbia area, I'm needing to fill some low spots prior to spot seeding with centipede. What should I use? I've bought those bags of "topsoil" before and they had so much bark and "stuff" in them nothing would grow. Areas of my lawn are clay and others sand. I understand that you don't want to use the wrong kind of sand.. but I don't remember which kind to avoid.. Yes I've tried googling...
Any clues?
If you have Bermuda, the recommendation is river bottom sand.
Charleston or St. Augustine turf prefers the course orange or play sand.
That's what I recall, the river bottom sand can probably be used on anything.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 00:19:27 -0400, "Mark Mitchell"

Thanks for the info. Chuck