Problem With Craftsman Rider

My neighbor has a 6-year old rider with a Kohler engine, he says. This year, unlike previous years, he finds that as he cuts his half-acre, the engine wants to cut out. He suspects gas flow because he can view the tubing going from the tank to the filter, thence to the carburetor. He says when it happens, the filter bowl and the transparent line are almost empty implying some kind of blockage. The strange thing is - if he turns the motor off, and then lowers the filter and its connecting lines as low as he can inside the mower housing, the filter bowl will fill up quickly, and the mower then runs fine again (for a while anyway). If he does the same thing with the motor running, the filter bowl does not fill up, and his problem persists. The inlet to the carburetor is below the outlet of the gas tank.
He has tried running the mower without a gas cap, and the same thing happens. He has replaced the filter twice with no improvement. He has blown air through the tubings. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?
Thanks
-GECKO

I'd suspect blockage in the carburetor. Seems to me there is a mesh screen at the carb's intake. I'd check that and maybe consider getting a carb rebuild kit.
Otoe
Otoe wrote:

Thanks. I'll pass along the two suggestions.
-GECKO