problem Willow

Page 1 of 2
This past winter, I removed a problem willow tree that was blowing so badly it threatened my house should it decide to fall. Shortly thereafter, I built a low deck, whose corner covers most of the stump to within about 10 inches of the top of what remains (which was about 18" high). I have removed trees before and stumps have just stayed that way - stumps. Willows, however appear to be a little more resilient than say, cedars or firs.
The willow has continued to grow despite my desire that it not, and I have dozens of new starts from the stump shooting up through and around my new deck. I have tried digging up the portions of the stump that I could reach and severing them from the roots, but that has been ineffective. I keep cutting them down every couple of weeks, but woudl like to find a more permanent solution.
What I need to do is find a way to kill the willow - roots and all.
If anyone is familiar with this problem, or just knows of somethign that will kill a large former tree, I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say.
Thanks

have you tried roundup on the tender new shoots?

I have tried roundup, but likely not in the quantities that might be necessary. I will give that a shot.
Don wrote:

Other than chemicals, the only thing that has worked for me is persistence with pruners. The roots can't survive without photosynthesis, take away the leaves constantly and consistently and the roots will starve to death.

Pour it FULL strength on the tree, but before, very very important, is to drill and many deep holes in the stump as you can, and fill the holes with it.
Mike said:

NEVER use a concentrate "full strength". It's a "concentrate" for a reason. It needs to be mixed with water to be safe, and to be effective.
--
Eggs

-Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a few weeks

The bottle of roundup concentrate has instructions for using it full strength.

stuff.

this case roundup does for extremely problem weeds/vegitation. The roundup concentrate that sits in my shop should never be put on at full strength, becasue it would probably burn a hole straight through the earth, and is WAY too concentrated.

just like Jed! Load up the truck and book for Beverly Hills! :)

take all my oil!
Thanks everyone. I've got some good ideas here and will give them a try. I'll be back if I can't get it to work.
In your vaired experiences, How long does this generally take to kill off the tree?

What I do is this, drill holes in the tree stump, fill with roundup, repeat a few times then burry the stump in some dirt. Come back a month later and you can almost pull the stump out by hand.

http://NewsReader.Com /

The issue is that it is mostly under a low deck, so traditional grinding is not really an option.
Steveo wrote:

Don't tell anyone but I've killed one of those willow stumps with kerosene in small regular doses. There wasn't deck over it though, and I was able to set it on fire eventually..it took better than a year to finally die. You can't let the kerosene get on the surrounding grass or plant material.
--
http://NewsReader.Com /

Mike said:

It probably should have been ground out prior to building the deck, but I suppose that's moot. =)
If the deck is screwed together, it should still be an option. Perhaps a bit labor-intensive, but an option nonetheless. Simply a matter of numbering the undersides of the boards, as they're removed to make it easy to replace them.
The problem I see with using some chemical to "dissolve" the stump, would possibly lead to a stability problem with the deck. Nothing like a nice cavity appearing under a foundation. Which actually brings up the question of whether or not removing the stump from the ground will cause damage to the deck's support areas. Sure, you could kill it off with some Roundup, but there's still the remains of the stump to be dealt with.
A pic of the area would be a plus. =)
--
Eggs

-It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Admiting that in hindsight, it should have been ground before the deck. But as I mentioned in the initial post, I had taken out stumps before and they had stayed just stumps for years. So cutting this low enough to build a deck over did not seem like an issue. I would have an ugly stump, but it would be under the deck and never seen. I just wasn't familiar with WIllows - I am now.
Don't know why I felt the need to explain this... Maybe b/c I appreciate the help.
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

I'll get a pic to illustrate.
Thanks