preparing hydrangeas for winter

Live near Chicago. I bought two hydrangeas plants and put them in big pots next to my front stairs. Sun till noon.
I'd like to plant them into the ground so they come back in spring. Can I do this? How should I do this? They are doing well in these big planter pots, but far too heavy to move.

Cover me. I'm changing lanes. -- a bumper sticker