Pre-emergent & pulling dandelions

I've applied a corn gluten pre-emergent to my lawn. I plan to continue to do so twice a year.

Using a puller, I'd like to manually remove the dandelions that are appearing, but pre-emergents stop working when the ground is disturbed.

Because of that, will removing the dandelions short-term & disturbing the soil cause more long-term problems? I want to do whatever will result in the fewest dandelions in the long-term.

Reply to
Darryl

Andrew Duane

Why would anyone use Roundup applied with a brush to kill dandelions in a lawn when there are broadleaf weedkillers that can be sprayed on that will kill the weeds, but not the grass?

Plus, it would seem to me that anyone using gluten as a pre-emergent isn't going to want to use Roundup or any other herbicide. So, I would say if you want to pull dandelions, then I would go ahead and do it. Sure, it will disturb the crabgrass protection in that small area a bit. But, you are getting rid of one weed for sure, with only a small possibility that it's going to be replaced by crabgrass. The other choice is to just use a broadleaf herbicide, apply it with a tank sprayer directly to the weeds, which minimizes usage and is a lot easier than digging weeds out.

Reply to
trader4

I'm using safe & natural alternatives in my back yard to protect my dogs. I use the nastiest, most toxic weed-killer I can find on my front lawn.

I'm living proof that one can research & use organic products, yet not give a crap about groundwater contamination.

Reply to
Darryl

Your dogs shit and piss on it.

Reply to