pre-emerge help

I've never used preemerge products before but now I have some huge mulch beds and I'm sick of weeding them.
What should I use and how and when do I use it ?
Is this sort of like birth control for weeds ?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
It is birth control for weeds. Depending on your climate, you probably need to spread it twice a year. First, in the spring when soil temps hit the 50's (this prevents crabgrass), then in the early fall to prevent winter weeds.
Your local Home Depot, Lowe's, or garden center should have several products that will work.