praying mantis in my garage.....

for the last 2 days i've had a baby praying mantis (about 2" long) living on the inside of my garage door. he seems healthy and is alive and looks at me like he saying "why do you keep looking at me dummy". my question is should i leave him in the garage hoping not to smush him by accident between the garage door sections when closing them up or do i gently move him to a section of the shrubs along the house. if i move him, do i move him into the sunny area or shaded area?
thanks,
mike..........
he should like sun or shade i think.
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:53:55 GMT, "JerseyMike"

I've seen several new babies lately - about 1/2" long, and the give you that same look. They are cool!
I would gently move him outside for 2 reasons. For you to stop worrying about him and for him to be in his more natural environment. I suspect that he got trapped in there somehow. Be careful with him as these guys are our best friends in nature. (And it is illegal in NJ at least to harm them.) Tomes

Tomes said:

Bullshit. There are no laws in the US about cruelty to *any* insect. None.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/mantis2.htm
--
Eggs

Can I yell MOVIE in a crowded firehouse?
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 04:13:54 -0500, Eggs Zachtly

Unfortunately this is correct - at least as of 1999:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/mantis2.htm
Terry
<Mack> wrote in message wrote:

Well how about that. I learned something here today, confirmed by my own search of the internet to assuage my disbelief. Thanks for fixing this thought folks.
It is, I found, the state insect of Connecticut. http://www.ct.gov/ctportal/cwp/view.asp?a 5&q$6504 Tomes

Acutally, that's not correct, there are 61 Federally Protected Insects (under the Endangered Species act) in the U.S.:
http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/SpeciesReport.do?groups=I&listingType=L
Penalties- up to $25,000 FINE & Jail time http://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa.html#Lnk11
Other Federally Protected Species- including snails, arachnids, etc:
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/wildlife.html
Budget101.com said:

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen any of those species before.
--
Eggs

-How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.