Poulan Pro Model 135 (Gas Edger)

I inherited this edger and cannot get it to start, even with a new plug. I can't find any (I mean ANY) information on this model on the web - unless I am blind. Anyone have one? Anyone know a parts source? Should I pitch it? Maybe it has a different model number it goes by?

Thanks

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

Parts manual http://72.3.225.179/manuals/163706.pdfOwners manual http://72.3.225.179/manuals/163731e.pdfAny reputable power equipment shop should be able to get parts for you. Or you can order parts here

Art

Thanks

I will look at the pdf's

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

Thanks

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

Never mind.

I couldn't print pages directly, but when I saved the pdf, then I could.

Thanks

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

such as I have. I saw that when I was looking for the edger. I saw the trimmer. My edger, for example, does not have a 'primer bulb'. Thanks anyway.

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

Here is the edger version

Art

Here is the edger version

Art

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

Do you see a primer in the parts diagram? I sure don't. Also that web page does not seem complete - no second page itemizing the parts.

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

Works for me. If you click on the + next to 'Illustrated Parts Lists" it should expand and show 2 entries below it. Click on "Carburetors...". That should bring up a new window with the carb breakdowns. One version with a primer and one without. The part numbers are at the bottom. Click on a part reference number and it should highlight in the parts listing.

It's not that complicated.

Reply to
Art

Excuse my stupidity please.

When I click on 'Carburetors'. I get only one page - with a schematic at top and a parts ordering list of 16 parts below. If I click on a part, I get a window to add purchase of that part to my cart. I see only one schematic. I see no primer.

I agree - it's not complicated.

Thanks

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

In an earlier post you said your edger didn't have a primer so I'm not sure why you are looking for one. The picture shows one but then does not list a part number, probably because your model doesn't use one. It's just a generic picture that is used in lots of parts lists.

Parts for the carb itself should be available locally from any decent power equipment shop. Just tell them you need parts for a Walbro carb and give them the number off the carb body. Should either be WT-242 or WT-308 (according to the Poulan parts list.) Don't mention that it is for a Poulan and they should be glad to help you.

Or if you will tell me exactly what parts you need, I'll see what I can do as far as getting you the correct part numbers.

Reply to
Art

I'm sorry that I confused things. No I do not have a primer bulb as so many other of my lawn equipments do. I wish it did. As it is, I have no way to prime it. All I can do is set the choke closed half-open or open and hold a throttle lever down. I can't do much to make it run. I think a carburetor overhaul might help things. I'm going to play with the air screw some tomorrow.

Maybe I will take you up on that.

Thanks again.

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

Further investigation resulted in a discovery that the tiny fuel line that snakes from the tank to the carburetor is dry-rotted, and it disintegrated into my hands as I touched it. Hence I need to replace that before going any further. Only thing is, I can't really tell yet how that lines gets to the carburetor. It seems to snake along the side of the housing next to the tank and then it disappears into the housing innards. It appears I will have to disassemble the entire housing in order to find where the end of the line connects. That would seem to be a major job, I say with despair. Then of course I have to find replacement line (or I guess tubing),

Hoping you might cheer me up with a helpful suggestion or two about how to deal with re-fitting this fuel line, I will delay attacking the housing until I find a piece of tubing, which I will now go seek. Are you there?

Thanks for your helps

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

I'm reluctant to give this advice since I have no idea how mechanically inclined you are.

The fuel line is not dry rotted, the rubber is breaking down because gas was left in the unit long enough for it to go stale. All the rubber parts in the carb are going to be in bad shape. A fuel line alone is not going to take care of it.

You should go ahead and order fuel line kit 530069599, fuel line fitting 530023877, carb kit 530035312, fuel filter 530014815, gasket 530019194 and any other unrelated parts that might be broken on it. Try your local shops before ordering on-line. They'll be faster and might even be cheaper.

Once you get the parts take the carb off and take it and the carb kit to a power equipment shop and have them rebuild the carb. After that you can reassemble everything using the new parts.

Or you could just toss the whole thing in the trash. It's not a quality piece to begin with.

Reply to
Art

I'm not so bad.

You're right. I bought a new line at local ACE and replaced the bad one which had disintegrated into several pieces. Things are still the same. First pull tries to start the engine but dies. Will not do it a second time until I let the thing rest for 10 or so minutes.

Previous owner was a good friend of mine who died last October. His wife says the edger ran for him last summer just fine. Maybe it did.

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll look the parts up to see what I am dealing with. Then I'll try to get them.

Reply to
gecko

Local shops are practically non-existent here. Just a few work-out-of-the-home repair guys.

I looked all of them up. It seems to me that I should consider trying to buy a complete carb - rebuilt hopefully. That way I don't have to mess with so many little parts. I so far do not see any model ID on the old carb. I want to be sure I get the right one, Any idea where to look?

Good point. I've always liked 'a challenge', but this is becoming exasperating. Thank God I am retired with time on my hands.

Reply to
gecko

I found the ID. It is a WT-242

Thanks again