Poor soil (dirt) quality

Page 3 of 3
Jonny wrote:

yep. telling from that point of view works every time.
seems it's really all about maximum profits and profitability.

It's lacking the shit. (organics)
synergy3000 wrote:

A couple years ago, I tried to improve the soil by spreading a layer of top soil over the lawn. This involved manually spreading the top-soil, and then use a large and wide landscape rake to smoothen the top soil in order to prevent the top soil from smashing the grass. So far, I am not sure if this has really helped anything. I cannot tell one way or the other.
Please note that spreading top soil is a very time consuming and tiring process. I only have a 1/4 arce property (with around 1/2 of the property is lawn) and I was/am physically fit. Nevertheless, I was very very tired after I had spreaded the top soil (took 2 days). I promise myself never do this again unless I am doing this in very small areas (like re-seeding bare spots in the lawn). Please think twice before committing yourself to this course of action.
I also use mulching instead of bagging when I mow the lawn hoping that this will add organic matters to the soil, and may improve the soil quality. Again, I don't know if this really helps or not; but this should not harm even if this doesn't help.
Jay Chan

You can't put much more than 1/2 to 1 inch of soil on existing turf and have it survive. How many square feet is it?
Compost, compost, compost.
A thin layer of well-rotted manure, instead of topsoil, will help, but you may need to do it a few years in a row.
My soil has poor nutrition and compacts easily, I am working on increasing the humus content by addng manure and mulching fall leaves. Topsoil is a gamble when it comes to humus content.
In four years, my lawn soil is softer and the grass doesn't brown out as fast in summer. Still a ways to go yet.